African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Economist
: Côte d’Ivoire
Grade: PL3, PL4, PL5
- The Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management is the Bank’s spokesperson on economic matters and the Vice-President for the ‘Economics Governance and Knowledge Management Complex’.
- The Complex is responsible for:
- Providing leadership and visibility for the Bank on economic, finance, financial governance and socio economic development issues; and coordinate the generation of analytical works to inform operational policy;
- Systematically emphasize the critical role of knowledge, experience, lessons learnt and their tangible impact on sustainable, inclusive transformation of African economies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Country Economist will focus on macroeconomic work to deepen country knowledge, preparation of Economic Sector Works and coordination of the preparation of Country Strategy Papers and other relevant documents (mid-term review, completion report, etc.).
Under the supervision and guidance of the Chief Economist/Vice-President for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management , the Country Economist will:
- Analyse the economic and financial situations of assigned Regional Member Countries, using internal and external information sources, and determine the implications for the programming and updating of Bank Group operations such as defined in the Country Strategy Paper.
- Examine the impact of Bank Group operations, in the countries concerned, of regional economic integration programmes and make recommendations on the role of the Bank Group in assisting regional integration initiatives.
- Undertake assigned Economic and Sector Work, focusing mainly on issues of governance profiling, and papers on relevant economic and financial issues in the development process.
- Identify, prepare, evaluate and monitor the implementation of macroeconomic programmes.
- Coordinate the preparation of Country Strategy Papers, based on the Regional Member Countries’ Poverty Reduction Strategies and/or the Governments’ Development Agendas.
- Maintain effective communication with the sector departments and other relevant units in the Bank to ensure a coordinated approach in the implementation of the Bank’s Strategy and lending operations in assigned countries.
- Participate in Country Portfolio Reviews.
- Participate in the preparation and monitor implementation of measures under budget support loans Participate in aid coordination activities with bilateral and multilateral donors, with emphasis on promoting the co-financing of projects and programmes.
- Participate in the preparation of the department’s budget and in the recruitment of consultants; prepare annual and triennial lending programmes and briefs on economic reform and institutional support programmes.
- Develop and build client relations at levels and plays a promotional role in generating new business for the Bank.
- Provide mentoring to junior economists.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Economics and other relevant fields and related disciplines;
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant experience in an International Organization, working on African Development Issues and country strategy papers preparation;
- Good grasp of the developing countries issues, and solid experience in macroeconomic management issues and the economics of development.
- Solid technical and quantitative skills as an applied development macroeconomist.
- Very good knowledge of portfolio management and demonstrated knowledge of economics and analytical skills
- Strong experience in policy dialogue, as well as fragility assessment knowledge and skills.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills and ability to deliver results on time.
- Problem solving capabilities coupled to innovation skills and change management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Knowledge of the Portuguese language is a requirement for this position
22nd January, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online