African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Knowledge Management Officer
Position N°: 50078461
The Hiring Department/Division
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG).
- The core mandate of the AfDB’s Independent Development Evaluation (BDEV) is to conduct independent evaluation studies, provide relevant lessons, develop and harmonize standards and practices, support evaluation capacity development together with partner agencies and attest to the validity of both processes and the results of AfDB’s self-evaluation activities.
- Within the BDEV department, BDEV.3 will be responsible for knowledge management, dissemination and outreach activities in line with the Bank’s quest to become a knowledge bank and assist in building and developing country monitoring and evaluation systems of RMCs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Principal Knowledge Management Officer leads on the knowledge management and dissemination of (knowledge from) BDEV evaluations, among others through knowledge and communication products and the organization of events.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager – BDEV3, the Principal Knowledge Management Officer will perform the following:
- Determine and develop the knowledge management and dissemination strategy for BDEV
- Contribute to the implementation of the strategy by planning and undertaking outreach and dissemination of evaluation findings in various ways.
- Organize and facilitate meetings, lectures and other internal and external events to disseminate evaluation findings and results
- Manage and edit a quarterly BDEV periodical (Evaluation Matters) on development evaluation
- Conduct and update knowledge needs assessments of Bank operations staff and other clients as necessary
- Provide advice and expertise to BDEV staff on the most effective evaluation dissemination methods and approaches, and synthesize and disseminate good practices from other MDBs and development agencies
- Act as a peer reviewer and provide constructive comments on the approach papers and evaluation reports of colleagues as required
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication channels with clients within and outside the Bank to ensure the widest possible dissemination of information about evaluation results
- Supervise and coach consultants and junior staff
- Provide oral and written responses and briefings for queries
- Contribute to the BDEV website, help desk, and intranet pages and the Bank’s Evaluation Community of Practice
- Identify and secure funding for dissemination and training activities
- Represent BDEV in initiatives, meetings and conferences related to his/her duties
- Propose the knowledge management activities to be included in the three-year BDEV work programme
- Report on activities achieved during the year to be taken into account in the BDEV Annual Report
- Develop and manage outreach programs and inform BDEV and operations staff on evaluation activities of other development agencies
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, Social Sciences, or related field.
- Have a minimum of six (06) years relevant international professional experience.
- Experience with knowledge management and communication is desirable.
- Certification or degree in knowledge management is desirable.
- Private Sector experience is advantageous.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s and BDEV’s mandate, strategic priorities, policies and operations
- Ability to plan, manage and lead projects, to guide and provide expert advice to project teams
- Thorough knowledge of concepts, methodologies, tools, features, implementation, developments and trends in knowledge management and communication
- Ability to capture and communicate key messages succinctly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to package and present information according to the needs of the audience
- Excellent research, writing, reporting and presentation skills
- Understanding of desktop publishing
- Experience using different dissemination channels, including social media
- Skills and experience in organizing events or coordinating activities
- Knowledge and experience in developing relationships with professional associations and country clients
- Innovation and creativity
- Client orientation
- Team working and relationship management
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP is advantageous.
22nd January, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online