Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) - Since 1993, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France, is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 34 countries towards 8 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In response to the emergency situation in Nigeria, ACTED recruits to fill the position below:
Job Title: Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation (AME) Officer
About the Job
- In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for an AME Officer to support its operations in the Borno states.
- The Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation (AME) Officer is responsible for the development and the implementation of appropriate and viable appraisal, monitoring and evaluation systems that are in line with ACTED’s global AME procedures, contributing to ensuring that ACTED’s projects and programs perform as planned.
The main duties and responsibilities for the role include:
Technical and Systems Development:
- Contribute to the development and updating of the country AME strategy, the consolidated AME work plan and AME frameworks for all ongoing projects;
- Ensure that AME findings are reflected and their recommendations are incorporated in future concept notes, proposals and implementation plans;
- Implement the AME policies and procedures as described in the ACTED AME standard guidelines and make sure that the tools are followed as applicable;
- Contribute to an effective roll-out of M&E collection and reporting systems to all staff and partners through training, site visits, manuals, and other technical support as needed.
AME Implementation and Management:
- Develop and oversee the implementation of appropriate data collection and analysis instruments, methodologies (e.g. survey questionnaires, focus group discussions, key-informant interviews) and data/information dissemination/utilization plans;
- Analyze AME data and produce reports, factsheets with useful statistical analysis and presentation (charts, tables, histograms, box plots) as necessary in a timely manner;
- Measure and report on qualitative and quantitative input, process, output, outcome, impact, objective, and goal-level performance indicators for all projects;
- Contribute to donor proposals (logical-framework designs, formulation of SMART indicators and AME budgets) and reports;
- Provide AME related capacity building and awareness to implementing partners and other institutions supported by ACTED as appropriate;
- Represent ACTED in different forums on AME related issues when required.
- Contribute to proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through AME activities among Project Managers, Technical Coordinators and Project Development Manager/Officers;
- Contribute to organizing and facilitating learning events in order to capture best practices and lessons learnt when a project closes or as required;
- Document and share the lessons learnt and best practices on time and ensure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of projects and influence the strategic development of future projects and activities;
- Support project implementation and improvement by providing timely information around project successes to be scaled up as well as challenges to allow ‘course correction’ throughout life of the program.
Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism:
- Contributing to the implementation of the beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM) in line with ACTED standard beneficiary CRM procedures;
- Contribute to the proper management of the project CRM central database;
- Build capacity and understanding among ACTED staff, partners and contractors on beneficiary accountability and CRM.
- All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- The AMEU Officer will be appraised based on his/her experience and demonstration of the qualities and competencies listed below:
- A University degree in International Development/Development Management, Sociology, Statistics, Monitoring and Evaluation in Social work or related field is required. Post-graduate studies or diploma an advantage.
- Two years of progressive professional work experience in a similar position with non-governmental organizations - at least one of these must be in humanitarian emergency work, preferably in food security, shelter, CCCM, or WASH.
- Knowledge of assessments methodology, data collection, collation, analysis, and report writing.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel, spreadsheets, Sphere standard, and database management applications/ statistical programs (i.e. KoBoToolbox).
- Familiarity with the Project Cycle Management, logical frameworks, and SMART objectives.
- Strong organizational, coordination, and analytical skills, and ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills in English.
- Fluent in English and Hausa. Any local language from Borno is an advantage.
- Accurate, reliable, organized, open-minded, and a positive attitude at all times!
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- Be willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas or unstable security environments, where services are limited
- Commitment to ACTED’s mission, vision, values, and policies. High level of confidentiality required.
Application Closing Date
- Contract length: 3 months, with possibility of extension
- Level: D2-1 (national contract)
- Start date: 1st June 2018
22nd May, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Cover Letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 pages maximum) in English to the "Recruitment Manager", via: [email protected]
- The Position Title and Location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered (AME Officer-Borno)
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered.
- CV-only applications will not be considered.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.