The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Driver
Ref No: 01/18 MDR
Type of Position: Full-time
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Start Date: 1st August, 2018
Main Purpose of Job
Roles and responsibilities
- To provide transport services for staff and visitors of the British High Commission (1HMG) to and from assigned destinations within Maiduguri and North East Nigeria in a safe, efficient and courteous manner observing all road traffic rules and post security regulations
- Perform administrative duties as may be required to support the effective running of the Maiduguri office and Transport operations in the Nigeria Network
Transport Services - 60%:
- Manage transport booking requests and communicate effectively with customers and other stakeholders
- Drive 1HMG staff and visitors to meetings and functions within Maiduguri and North East Nigeria.
- Conduct Airport runs to pick up/drop off 1HMG staff and visitors. Liaise with Airport officials as necessary.
- Undertake journeys to other states within Nigeria as necessary
- Perform duties in line with post security regulations
- Complete accurate journey record sheets for all journeys in official vehicles
Vehicle Maintenance and Management - 20%:
- Keep accurate records of vehicle mileage, fuel consumption and maintenance work/costs
- Perform daily inspections to ensure that all official vehicles are road worthy and in good working order.
- Wash/Clean official vehicles ensuring they are kept tidy and parked in a secured area.
- Complete vehicle inspection checklists and promptly report any defects, faults or incidents that occur to the Transport Manager
- Check that all vehicle equipment and tools are secured safely and are functioning correctly.
- Manage a working stock of spares (held in stores with restricted access) for the fleet based in Maiduguri in line with FCO/BHC policy.
Administrative Support - 20%:
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Provide administrative support for the day to day running of the Maiduguri office
- Assist the Transport Manager and liaise with other Corporate Services staff based in Abuja as necessary
- Update transport related data using Microsoft Office IT systems and maintain other records as may be delegated by the office/transport manager
- Maintain adequate records for all the operations of the Maiduguri transport unit required for audit purposes e.g. Journey records, Stores, Vehicle maintenance check lists, Fuel Consumption, etc
- Full valid Nigerian Driving licence
- Minimum of 3 years verifiable previous driving experience
- Previous experience of driving Armoured Vehicles
- Good working knowledge (and driving experience) of Maiduguri and the North East Region
- Basic Computer skills - Microsoft Office tools
- Must possess minimum of SSCE with 5 credits obtained in one sitting
- Must be able to relate and speak fluently with locals
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience of driving for other Embassies or NGOs
Starting Monthly Salary
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace.
Application Closing Date
- Drivers work shifts rather than standard office hours. The nature of the job will require flexible working patterns
- There is a requirement to work on a rotational basis sometimes in the evening and on weekends. Overtime will be paid for additional hours worked.
7th June, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online