Heartland Alliance International - Nigeria, one of the world’s leading anti-poverty and a services based human rights organizations, works in communities in the U.S. and abroad to serve those who are homeless, living in poverty, or seeking safety. It provides a comprehensive array of services in the areas of health, housing, jobs and justice - and leads state and national policy efforts, which target lasting change for individuals and society.
We are currently recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MHPSS Technical Specialist
Req ID: 4929
Reports To: Program Director
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- HAI seeks a Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) technical specialist to provide capacity building training and technical oversight of the implementation of MHPSS activities in two of HAI’s programs in Nigeria that include an anti-trafficking project as well as the MHPSS components of largescale HIV program. Based in Abuja, Nigeria with some regional travel, the MHPSS technical specialist will report to the Nigeria Program Director and liaise closely with HAI’s global MHPSS Technical Advisor.
- The MHPSS technical specialist will also be responsible for program development, project start-up, as well as planning and supporting implementation of new trauma-informed components of HAI’s One Stop Shop (OSS) model for HIV prevention, testing, counseling, and treatment for key populations.
- Guides the implementation of MHPSS programming and the methods of follow-up, with a focus on technical aspects and quality assurance through close monitoring and supervision
- Ensures that MHPSS program components are implemented according to approved work plan to achieve program deliverables. Through strong planning and monitoring, identify potential obstacles to programmatic success in a timely fashion, and implement corrective actions as needed
- Ensures technical oversight and field-monitoring of the program staff in close coordination with program managers, notably to ensure quality control and adequate implementation of the planned tools and frameworks
- Provides capacity building training and supervision to national MHPSS staff and other stakeholders and project partners
- As needed, contributes to the development of case studies of successes and lessons learned, and other publications to highlight HAI’s niche areas of expertise and value added.
- Provides regular comprehensive program updates to supervisor as to program status, current and emerging issues;
- Oversees the recruitment of field staff as well as personnel and documentation follow-up;
- As possible attends relevant coordination groups
- Develops scopes of work, project deliverables and monitoring and evaluation indicators and targets together with the Program Development team and HQ MHPSS Technical Advisor for grant and service delivery partners as required.
- As needed, supports HQ MHPSS TA with developing guidance, tools, case studies, models, and other materials related to mental health programming to promote learning across country offices.
- As possible, represents HAI and its projects in professional and public settings, and makes presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or competency required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree or higher in Mental Health, Social Work, Counseling or related field
- Minimum of 5 years post-licensure experience
- Experience with MHPSS needs of persons living with HIV; experience with “Key Populations” strongly preferred (men who have sex with men, sex workers, people who use drugs, etc.)
- Knowledge of, and experience with motivational interviewing and harm reduction approaches
- Demonstrated ability to train staff and implementing partners on MHPSS
- Experience in the provision of clinical supervision
- Program design and development experience preferred, including proposal writing
- Experience implementing MHPSS programming in development and/or humanitarian settings, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa preferred;
- Previous experience with anti-trafficking programming a plus
- Time Management – Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time and complete projects in a fast-paced, changing environment with minimal supervision.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively;
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
- Cultural Sensitivity – Respects cultural environment in which person is working and does not act in a manner that is outwardly offensive to the local community
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills required
Application Closing Date
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online