The Accountability Lab Nigeria catalyzes a new generation of active citizens and responsible leaders. We train, mentor, and resource citizens to strengthen systems of accountability to unleash positive social and economic change. The Lab also strives to reinvent the way that development organizations operate through radical transparency, context-appropriate reporting, and creative awareness campaigns. The Accountability Lab is a non-profit organization based in Washington DC with a locally registered office in Nigeria.
Accountability Lab provides a dynamic, creative, and collaborative work environment, and we committed to supporting the professional development of our team. We are always looking for talented people who share our values and are committed to positive change.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Part-Time Financial Systems and Management Consultant
Reports to: Accountability Lab’s Country Director
Duration: Three-month trial period as part of a one-year part-time contract (2 days a week) with the possibility for renewal
- This position is for 2 days a week at the outset, but the time commitment could grow (and would be compensated accordingly) as the organization grows. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Set up a financial management system for Accountability Lab Nigeria in Quickbooks, including monthly payroll, expenditure reimbursement, bank statement reconciliation, and budget forecasting;
- Compose comprehensive yet concise template for monthly financial reports to senior management in the US;
- Assess financial reporting, risk and compliance requirements for international grants, and develop systems to keep the associated records;
- Set up or further develop policies, guidelines and controls—to work in tandem with the Lab’s overall financial guidelines;
- Develop a clear and detailed plan for how to organize past financial records and conduct an internal audit;
- Set up and maintain a filing system for hard copy receipts, and an inventory of all the Lab’s assets;
- Develop and manage project budgets including budget formulation, analysis of burn rates across budget lines and the development of financial reports for donors.
- Above all, this position requires a superb understanding of financial management, budgeting, financial software, financial systems, accounting and internal audit. It requires excellent management skills, attention to detail, inter-personal and organizational skills.
- Accountability Lab Nigeria has the potential to grow very quickly and the successful candidate will need to have the energy, vision and knowledge of finances to ensure that the Lab meets is financial obligations to donors and to partners.
- The successful candidate will also need to be able to work within a dynamic and culturally diverse team, embodying the organization’s commitment to accountability, transparency and equity.
- We seek a demonstrated record of assuming significant professional responsibility and delivering on financial management goals with integrity and humility. Women, those from minority groups and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
- A Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field. CPA highly desirable. BA degree is acceptable if paired with at least 5-10 years’ experience in a similar role;
- Experience designing and implementing financial systems for a non-profit organization in compliance with international standards;
- High-level proficiency in Quickbooks and Microsoft Excel;
- Adaptable, resourceful, self-motivated and able to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-moving environment;
- Highly organized and meticulous attention to detail; and an ability to problem-solve both big picture and day-to-day issues;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate with clarity and empathy to all relevant stakeholders. A strong manager and team player;
- Commitment to the Accountability Lab’s values of integrity, innovation, humility, practicality, and collaboration.
We are a small organization with a limited budget, but we are committed to paying a competitive rate commensurate with skills and experience.
Application Closing Date
16th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send a Resume, Cover Letter, and contact information for 3 references to: [email protected]
Please specify the title of the position you are applying to in the subject line of the email.
Click here for more information
If interested, please follow these steps:
- Read about Integrity Idol HERE and nominate 2 honest government officials in Nigeria by filling in the nomination form twice HERE. Integrity Idol is one of the projects you will be working on with the Lab.
- Indicate your preferred salary on the cover letter.
The interview process will include several rounds of interviews and a written test. The position will begin September 10th 2018.