Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Head of Mission Support
Ref Code: OM01200
Abuja (30% field visit)
Main Objective of the Position
- Supporting the Head of Mission in security management and coordination tasks, ensuring a smooth relation with local and national authorities, contributing to the context analysis and follow-up, providing translations and interpretations according to MSF protocols, standards and procedures in order to facilitate the mission coordination tasks.
MSF Section/Context Specific Accountabilities
- Supporting the HoM in promoting and protecting the MSF image externally and assisting in context analysis, disseminating relevant context information to the coordination team, regularly informing them on key issues, updating general information on the context for MSF internal documents and advising on cultural appropriateness of organized activities and individual behaviours.
- Analysing the risks and the security level of the context of the mission and assisting in conducting risk assessments and in the development security plans for the mission and project. Advising the PC and HoM on aspects of security management.
- Establishing and maintaining external relationships with relevant authorities and stakeholders. Keeping good knowledge of counterparts in different administrations and departments and keeping up to date records of field contacts (other NGOs, UN agencies, local authorities, etc.) verifying that they are easily accessible, in order to facilitate contacts and meetings.
- At the request of the Head of Mission, assisting the HoM or representing MSF in meetings (NGOs, official bodies and administrations, etc.)and preparing full report.
- Ensuring the follow up of relevant administrative dossiers such as the MSF registration in the country, working permits, immigration policies, national protocols, MoUs, etc.
- At the request of the HoM, preparing and conducting an information briefing, focusing on the country context for International Regional and Relocated Staff.
- Translating sensitive documents and acting as an interpreter when needed. Writing letters and correspondences with officials and partners and preparing reports, internal memos and formal requests. Monitoring the correspondences in the absence of the HoM.
- Supporting the Advocacy Manager and the HAO in relevant dossiers and contacts.
- In charge of maintaining the following tools:
- Contact List
- Actor Mapping
- Mission Monthly Sitrep
- Contact Log book
- Incident list
- Weekly report (Point Info)
- Within the scope of his job, any other to the mission.
- This position will have access to confidential information both internal to MSF-Spain and external organizations. Discretion and confidentiality need to be held at all times. The trust built between the HoM and HoM Support is crucial.
- Centralizes all mission official documents, MoUs, Nigeria Immigration service documents, national Planning Commission, IDEC office, NAFDAC office and keeps networking with these offices together with the coordinator in charge.
- In charge of the organisation of the MSF-internal coordination meeting: plan it, take the notes, lead the meeting, follow up with the task requested by the HoM to provide support field.
- Ensuring the proper registration and records of official documents and letters.
- He/She will spend 30% of the time in field trips, in the North East or other locations in Nigeria.
- Education: University level studies or similar: preferably Master level in Political Sciences, Business Administration, Law, etc.
- Previous experience in humanitarian aid, preferably with MSF. Essential, very good understanding of the functioning of the different administrations on the local country (critical)
- Experience in context analysis and working in political, security and humanitarian issues in the country.
- English essential, local languages (Hausa, Kanuri) will be an asset.
- Computer proficiency in MS Excel and Word, digital Media and webnet.
- Good analytical skills, at ease with figures and economics data
- Excellent communication and diplomatic skills, including writing skills
- To be organized
- To have a networking capacity
- To have Negotiation skills
- Flexibility (may have to go regularly on the field or accompany HOM in work related trips).
- Humanitarian Commitment
- Reporting skills
- Strength of proposal, innovative
Application Closing Date
- NGN392,500.00(Gross) (As per the MSF salary scale (national contract).
31st August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and motivation letter preferably by email to: [email protected]
Please let the subject of your email be ¨HOM SUPPORT OM01200¨ as this will only be honoured
Submit it in person to any of the following MSF Spain offices:
Plot 394, Etang O. Obuli Street,
Off Idris Ibrahim Crescent,
Jabi - Abuja.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted
- MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association. Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
- MSF encourages women and people with disability status to apply.