Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for its Protection and Community Outreach team in Monguno.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protection and Community Outreach, Deputy Project Manager
: Monguno, Borno
Responsibilities And Tasks
- Under the direct supervision of the Protection and Community outreach Project manager, the DPM shall ensure the overall support of the project’s implementation and assist the PCO PM in planning, organizing, implementing and monitoring project activities.
- S/he will be responsible for developing the Protection and community outreach strategy, while managing, building the capacities and providing constant support to a large team of PCO officers and supervisors.
- The DPM will also play a key role in establishing a strong coordination with the various stakeholders involved in Monguno, while ensuring protection is mainstreamed in all PUI sectorial programs.
- Lead the scale up plan for developing the protection and community outreach strategy, tools and methodologies
- Support the PCO team in developing, implementing and monitoring project activities in the areas assigned in the project intervention framework, in compliance with goals defined in the project proposal, and ensure that activities are met in a timely manner
- Provide technical guidance and support to PCO Supervisors in developing strong and effective internal and referral pathways and supervise the organization and follow-up of referrals (including protection cases, malnutrition cases and cases with urgent needs)
- Strongly support the implementation of the integrated approach between PCO, food security, nutrition and health in Bolori II ward of MMC
- Ensure that the protection outreach components are consistent and in link with the needs of the population of concern and that they are provided with the necessary information regarding the services available in the target area.
- Develop or adapt specific and appropriate IEC materials and other messaging and awareness-raising activities
- Develop training materials and provide capacity-building to the PCO team, other PUI teams, partners and other stakeholders
- Ensure compliance of all activities with international and national laws, conventions and policies as well as with international humanitarian principles and guidelines
- Ensure that all persons of concern are treated with dignity and respect, in accordance with humanitarian principles and human rights standards.
- Ensure protection principles are mainstreamed in all PUI sectoral programs
- Follow up the performance indicators defined, report on progress to the PCO PM, indicate difficulties encountered in project implementation and propose improvements
- Support the PCO Project Manager in strategy development, including through supporting the development of high quality proposals and associated budgets
- Monitor and evaluate Protection and Community Outreach projects ensuring quality of services and protection mainstreaming
- In the event of serious delays in project implementation, s/he immediately informs PCO PM and proposes solutions to remedy the situation
- Establish and maintain effective internal and external coordination mechanisms and ensure proper implementation
- Build and maintain relationships with external partners, community leaders (especially Bulamas), community committees and other stakeholders
- Represent PUI before local actors and partners when required and at anytime and anywhere when s/he is in duty
- In agreement with the PCO PM, attend coordination meetings and participate actively
- In the event of visits from Donors, participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit
- Cooperate with MEAL Department to conduct any MEAL related activities (such as surveys, field feedbacks, and lessons learnt exercise among others)
- Supervise PCO Supervisors and Officers and ensure the timely implementation of their activities
- Ensure capacity-building of the team through trainings and technical guidance (organizational and technical support, methodology, training sessions on specific topics related to protection)
- Coordinate the work of PCO Supervisors and Officers: work plans, progress toward targets, and frequency of submitting collected data.
- Uphold PUI code of conduct and internal regulations and ensure that they are known and respected by each team member
- Participate actively in the hiring process (candidates interviewing, testing, etc.)
- Ensure that PCO team members and outreach workers have the necessary information on the referral system and provided services and properly understand the activities to be implemented in the framework of the project
- Ensure that PCO team properly handles confidential information and that information collected by both officers and community outreach workers is reported and properly uploaded to the database
- Ensure coordination with PUI Staff and stakeholders concerning community intervention activities.
- Support PCO Supervisors & Officers in improving their performance.
- Support PCO Supervisors & Officers in day-to-day problem solving according to agreed procedures and priorities
- Regularly appraise the performance of PCO Supervisors and Officers
- Routine field visits to monitor PCO Officers & Community Workers activities.
- Continuously collect feedback from PCO team and ensure the communication to the Project Manager.
Logistic & Administration:
- Define the needs in materials and tools required to conduct trainings and outreach activities.
- Organize and coordinate training sessions: venue, attendees, and support materials
- Provide the PCO PM on a monthly basis with information necessary for the development of cash flow estimates specific to PCO program
- In coordination with the PCO PM, assist in other logistical components of the PCO program
Reporting & Data Collection:
- Ensure proper completion and filling of all documentation (soft and hard as required) and ensure data protection protocols, confidentiality and do no harm principles are respected while reporting protection cases
- Ensure the proper collection, analysis and reporting of information by PCO team
- Review the number of assessed individuals, identified protection cases, referred cases and closed cases
- Analyze data provided by PCO team and propose solutions based on available resources
- Report on PCO Officers & Supervisors development and performance.
- Document and report training sessions and feedback from participants.
- Responsible of compile and report to the direct superior data on a weekly, monthly, quarter and annual basis or upon request
- Provide inputs for donor reports and proposals
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the project’s needs.
Priorities of the Department:
- Set up the community outreach network in the assigned catchment area supported by pui
- Ensure a continuous grasp on the population needs and vulnerabilities and strengthen pui reactivity responding to emerging humanitarian needs
- Reinforce pui integrated approach through the set-up of robust internal referral pathways (with nutrition, health, food security and accountability teams)
- Provide an appropriate support to identified malnutrition cases, protection cases and cases with urgent needs through internal and external referral pathways
- University level (preferably MD) in Social Science/Development Studies/Political Science or related field or certificate of secondary education with at least 3 years relevant experience in the field
- Qualification in protection field an asset
- Proven experience working in NGOs.
- Good command in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages - Hausa and Kanuri
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of community outreach, community mobilization, protection and referral mechanisms
- Good knowledge of international legal instruments related to protection (IHL/IHRL), IDP guiding principles, SPHERE standards, protection mainstreaming
- Excellent experience in conducting trainings, awareness sessions and surveys/assessments
- Excellent experience in managing and mentoring teams
- Excellent communication (especially in public) and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situation
- Literacy in reporting
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Commitment to the NGO values and principles
- Working in humanitarian relief, interest for social issues
Application Closing Date
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization
- Great moral and ethical sense
- Conflict resolution and diplomacy skills
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Strong understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Well organized, hard worker and rigorous
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Knowledge or previous experience in Health and/or Nutrition is an asset.
19th August, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online