The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment: Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Slot: 8 Openings
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- North-East Nigeria has witnessed an increase in violence since the beginning of 2015, causing a major humanitarian crisis. As a consequence, almost 2 million individuals are currently displaced, with the highest number of displacements taking place in Borno, Yobe, Gombe and Adamawa States.
- Many of those are living in overpopulated IDP sites and host communities and are in desperate need of humanitarian assistance. Since mid-2016 IOM have scaled up its humanitarian response programme in North-East Nigeria and is currently implementing Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Displacement Tracking (DTM), Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Mental Health and Psychosocial support (MHPSS), Livelihood and early recovery, and Shelter activities in all of the affected states and in particular in Borno.
- With the improved access to some of the towns once considered as hard-to-reach, IOM in collaboration with humanitarian partners was able to establish and run 8 field humanitarian hubs in Bama, Gwoza, Ngala, Banki, Monguno, Damasak, Rann and Dikwa Local Government Areas (LGA).
- To ensure the efficient and well-coordinated delivery of multi-sectoral activities in these field locations and follow up on the implementation of daily humanitarian activities, IOM is aiming to recruit experienced field coordinators to be deployed to the 8 field locations in Borno state.
- The successful candidate will be working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the Head of Maiduguri sub-Office and the direct supervision of the Field coordination officer based in Maiduguri.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Support the Head of Office/Emergency coordinator and the Maiduguri-based field coordinator in Managing, coordinating and monitoring the activities implemented within the designated area of responsibility assigned to him/her (including DTM, Shelter, NFI, CCCM, WASH, and Psychosocial support).
- Provide technical inputs to the different emergency programme Standard Operational Procedures, to ensure a rapid, appropriate and comprehensive IOM emergency response in deep field locations in North East Nigeria.
- Manage and lead Rapid Assessments and Response missions and activities within the designated area of responsibility and ensure quality control and adherence to IOM’s procedural standards and policies as well as donor requirements at field level.
- Coordinate with all IOM project managers based in Maiduguri and provide recommendations to ensure a well-coordinated, efficient, timely and proper IOM response at the field level.
- Organize and chair regular field-level internal operational coordination meetings with relevant IOM team members working at hub level to plan and agree on action plans and prioritization of daily activities.
- Regularly participate and chair (when requested) interagency coordination meetings in their designated local government area (LGA) and follow up on the implementation of action points.
- Support the Maiduguri-based Field coordinator and Project managers, with identifying, training and supervising IOM field team members working in the same LGA and appoint focal points in hard to reach areas.
- Regularly provide inputs required by the project managers and the project development officer for the preparation and submission of progress and donors’ reports.
- Identify new opportunities, describe and justify project possibilities consistent with the approved emergency programme and ongoing activities, and recommend programme improvements.
- Ensure the implementation of appropriate safety and security procedures related to the protection of IOM staff, its assets and operations. Ensure that all relevant security information is properly disseminated to all IOM team members working in the same LGA.
- Undertake duty travel and re-deployment to other LGAs according to programme needs and priorities.
- Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Master’s degree in International Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in Emergency Response and Disaster Management, preferably in the African region is a must;
- Operational and extensive field experience in programme development, implementation and evaluation;
- Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management;
- Combination of training and experience in field of operations, preferably in natural disaster or post conflict situations;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions preferably within the United Nations Common System and the International Humanitarian Field.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
Core Competencies - Behavioural Indicators
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
- No late applications will be accepted.
- How to apply:
- Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 November 2018 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
8th November, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy.
- For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract.
- Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.