eHealth Africa (eHA) designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Ophthalmologist
Purpose of the position
What you’ll do
- The Ophthalmologists are medically trained doctors with specialist skills in the diagnosis, treatment, management, and prevention of diseases of the eye and visual system.
- They manage patients of all ages, from premature babies to the elderly, with acute and long-term eye conditions.
- As an ophthalmologist, you'll deal with a range of conditions, including cataracts, glaucoma, eye injuries, infectious eye diseases and degenerative conditions resulting from ageing. You'll work as a consultant in EHA Clinics.
The Ophthalmologist will support eHA’s clinic predominantly by:
Who you are
- Assess and examine patients in order to make a diagnosis
- Manage ophthalmic conditions, taking into account both the medical and psychological aspects of patient care
- Manage busy general outpatient clinics, emergency eye clinics, and specialist clinics.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team that includes optometrists, orthoptists, and nurses, as well as with specialists such as neurologists, ENT (ear, nose, and throat) surgeons and pediatricians
- Operate equipment such as ophthalmoscopes, slit lamps and lenses
- Provide advice and reassurance to patients and family members
- Educate patients to help them understand their medical condition
- Handle legal documentation for the certification of patients as blind or partially sighted
- Medical ophthalmologists will also have expertise in immunosuppression, neurology and cardiovascular medicine, and will manage areas such as diabetes retinal screening programmes. They may also use therapeutic procedures, such as laser therapy and intraocular injections.
- teach and train junior doctors and other healthcare professionals and lead members of the ophthalmology team
- Participate and get involved in research
- manage resources and practice development or lead on specific aspects of care.
- Support health promotion and disease prevention activities.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
- Possessing a Degree in Medicine (MBBS) registered with the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) from a recognized institution and must have completed one year National Service (NYSC) or duly exempted.
- Certified and licensed to work in the state by the Federation of State Boards as an Ophthalmologist.
- Five(5) years experience working in a healthcare setting
- Encouraging to medical team and patients; ability to mentor and lead
- Able to perform CPR or additional emergency procedures if needed
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with a wide variety of patients, medical staff, and caregivers
- Strong computer skills, including Google Office Suite and other medical software.
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. EHA Clinics is a tobacco-free environment.
Application Closing Date
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer and reach with their hands and arms.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online