Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Manager
Job ID: 1900008X
Ogoja, Cross River
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract Duration: 10 months
Key Areas of Accountability
- To assume responsibility for the overall management of the field office. This includes overseeing programme activities support functions, such as Finance, Administration, HR, Logistics and Security, all Field staff, security policy, and managerial representation of the Save the Children International.
- The Field Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Save the Children’s Programme in Cross River and Benue States.
- This includes responsibility for ensuring integrated, high quality program delivery and a safe and effective presence of Save the Children in Cross River and Benue States, oversight and ultimate responsibility for the timely delivery of WASH projects as well as maintain effective relationships with all other key players in the area (NGO, UN, and governmental) to ensure effective coordination of activities and ability to implement.
- S/he is also responsible for the efficient and effective operation of support services - Logistics, Security, Finance and Human Resources/Administration.
- In coordination with the, Country Director, Director for Program Operations, Humanitarian Director and other senior staff, s/he has overall responsibility for safety of staff and security of staff and operations in the field site.
- S/he is responsible for team leadership, human resources management, oversight of all programs, and management of SC facilities and assets in the locality.
Oversees Save the Children’s programs and operations in Cross River and Benue States:
- Manages the financial, administrative, logistics, IT, and other operational aspects in the field site.
- Supervises Program Managers based in the field office, providing managerial guidance and support, and ensuring effective communication and coordination among programmes, including ensuring integration where appropriate.
- Ensures effective performance and coherence of the staff team through holding regular meetings and implementing regular training, support, and performance evaluation of staff.
- With support from Human Resources in Abuja, ensures sufficient staffing to perform all programmatic and operational responsibilities.
- Participates in developing the program strategy for Save the Children in Nigeria and in setting policies relevant to field operations.
- Ensures compliance with donor requirements. Supports development of proposals and reports for donors and others. Facilitates donor and other visits as requested.
- Ensures effective representation and coordination with local government, communities, and NGO partners.
- Maintains effective implementation of security guidelines and reporting.
Leadership and overall management:
- Ensure vision, mission and values of Save the Children are clearly and properly understood and upheld by all staff in Cross River and Benue states.
- Maintain Save the Children’s organizational and operational policies and procedures in the Cross River Field Office. This includes Code of Conduct, Child Safeguarding Policy, Fraud Policy, the Minimum Standards of Humanitarian Relief, etc.
- Responsible for the overall management and supervision of programme, finance, logistics, HR, and administration functions in the Cross River humanitarian response Office.
- Maintain awareness on legal cultural/traditional issues and ensure these are considered in the implementation of the programme if required and relevant.
- Monitor the operating context, identifying changes to the context, identifying constraints and challenges and taking relevant actions in consultation with the Humanitarian Director, and Programmes Staff.
Management of Programme Implementation:
- Facilitate and coordinate implementation of planned activities, providing support to ensure high quality of implementation.
- Bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring planned activities are implemented according to the operational plans and budget.
- Ensure an integrated approach to programme implementation in order to maximize resource utilization and synergy.
- Ensure that all activities are in compliance with Save the Children’s and donor requirements, regulations and policies; and as per the approved plan/proposal.
- Facilitate and coordinate with Humanitarian Director, Director of Programme Operations, Director of Program Development and Quality to ensure technical support and capacity development of programme staff in Cross River state.
- Work closely with Programme Advisors to ensure teams receive the necessary support to deliver quality programmes.
Monitoring, Reporting and Learning:
- Work closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning advisors to build field staff capacity.
- Ensure monitoring systems and procedures as well as documentation and information management systems are being utilized properly and projects are regularly monitored in Cross River and Benue states.
- Responsible for the enforcement of reporting requirements and procedures for grants and timely submission of reports to Humanitarian Director, thematic Program Advisors, Director of Program Operations, Director of Program Design and Quality, Director of Finance for all projects implemented in Cross River and Benue States.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation and provision of information and data to Learning and Development Unit for quarterly and annual reports of the country programme.
- Collate and produce monthly reports and weekly SITREPS.
- Ensure that all reports (i.e. logistics, HR and finance, donor as well as program) are of good quality and produced timely and sent to the appropriate authority at Abuja.
Administration and Management of Support Functions:
- Ensure proper control and usage of Save the Children assets and funds in Cross River and Benue states providing direct oversight on finance, logistics, HR and admin functions
- Ensure the programme in Cross River and Benue provide value for money
- Work closely with the logistics department to coordinate and follow-up on the procurement and delivery of goods and services for the programme and the programme offices.
- Provide the key communication link to the head office and other field offices to share learning, secure appropriate support and update them on progress of the work underway.
Budget Follow up and Ensuring Financial Compliance:
- Accountable for management and monitoring of assigned budget in his/her capacity as budget holder.
- Ensure the effective compliance of Save the Children and donor finance and grant procedures and requirements.
- Coordinates and facilitates the work of the finance team in the Cross River humanitarian office.
- Ensure the financial reporting and forecasting to the country office is accurately and efficiently carried out within the right timeframe.
- Work with the finance department and Senior Finance Manager to ensure accurate budget control for financial management at the field in line with project/grant proposals.
- Facilitate and coordinate the preparation of cash flows and budget phasing in of projects to be implemented in Cross River humanitarian office.
- Facilitate and coordinate budget revisions for projects/grants as required.
Human Resource Development and Management:
- Build a high performing team in Cross River and Benue states who deliver results for children and refugees.
- Ensure staffing levels, management structures, and personnel processes are appropriate and effective to enable the smooth implementation of the programme, including appropriate recruitment and induction processes.
- In collaboration with the HR/Admin officer, guide and support staff in their development, planning succession, and taking prompt action to address issues of underperformance and other issues impacting on professional conduct or implementing duties and responsibilities.
- Ensure staff in Cross River and Benue receive regular support, supervision and performance appraisals in line with HR procedures and protocols.
- Ensure the Save the Children Child Safeguarding Policy is understood by all staff in Cross River and Benue and that it is integrated into all aspects of the teams’ work.
Representation of Save the Children in the field region:
- Represent Save the Children in Cross River and Benue in relation to programme implementation and maintaining a strong link with community leaders, government, NGOs and UN organizations in the area.
- Establish and maintain contact with all key actors as relevant for the programme implementation – military, government, UN, NGOs and partners – and establish mechanisms for contacting local community organizations in line with key thematic areas of work and assess capacity/resources to respond.
- Advocate on the issues and rights of children in Cross River in order to improve policy and practices.
Safety and Security Management:
- Serve as the overall security focal point for the area of operation.
- With support from the safety and security officers, provide regular updates and analysis of the security situation of the Area of operation to the Deputy Director of Programme Operations, Head of Safety and Security, National safety and Security Manager and the Country Director as appropriate.
- Assist the safety and security officers’ in the development of security procedures and protocols for the field and sub offices under the Area of Operation and ensure an understating and adherence of the same.
- Have an overview of the political and security context in field locations and how their changes may affect the programme’s work and ensure that this is communicated regularly to the Senior Management Team.
- With the Safety and Security Officers develop and implement effective safety and security procedures ensuring that these are updated and revised at regular intervals and that new programmes are built around security considerations.
- Take a lead role in monitoring the security situation in Cross River and Benue States and update and implement Save the Children safety and security policies and procedures.
- Ensure security plans and guidelines; mitigation and contingency are in place, and regularly reviewed and are upheld.
Application Closing Date
- Experience of working and living in Cross River in similar role or context
- Good knowledge of the environment and context of the Cameroonian refugee situation in Nigeria
- Specific experience of working in consortia projects.
15th February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online