Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Manager
Ref Id: 190000AD
: Duste, Jigawa
Employee Status: Fixed Term
- The Project Manager, Jigawa provides leadership and managerial oversight for the administrative, programmatic, technical, research and operational aspects of the programme in Jigawa state.
- S/he will oversee the day-to-day implementation of the programme and will be accountable for the effective financial and operational management including planning project activities, estimate time and financial commitments.
- The Project Manager is accountable for delivering State level activities in Jigawa to the agreed quality standards and is responsible to seek and coordinate input as appropriate from the technical teams, to ensure the development and adherence to technical program quality standards, monitoring and evaluation systems, donor and SCI regulations.
- S/he will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on the project’s progress in relation to timely delivery, outputs actual spend, quality and results as compared to the original plans and the project proposal. S/he will manage issues and risk and make recommendations on how to adjust or reallocate resources to accommodate changes and respond to challenges.
- S/he will also be responsible for effective stakeholder relationship management, including developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the donor, government and partner agencies, operating in the State and federal level.
Scope of Role:
Key Areas of Accountabilities
- Reports to: Chief Of Party
- Staff directly reporting to this post: 4
- Budget responsibility: Yes
In consultation and agreement with the Chief of Party:
- Provide direction and coordination of the programme in Jigawa State.
- Attract and maintain strong working relationship with partners and stakeholders.
- Ensure state level representation by the programme on behalf of Save the Children, builds trust and influence with Government and other key stakeholders, highlighting where effective practise can positively influence policy.
- Lead the development of high quality programming, annual plans and budgeting processes for the programme, as and when necessary.
- Ensure that an effective monitoring system is in place in the programme state for achieving agreed targets and sound financial management, as well as ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor.
- Coordinate state programme’s operational and analytical research, coordinate the dissemination of results and ensure that research informs advocacy.
- Ensure that other technical sectors in the state (e.g. Nutrition, Advocacy) are coordinated, integrated and support each other to optimise the project purposes and objectives.
- Lead on the submission of the state quarterly and annual reports and submission of deliverables.
- Provide updates to the Chief of Party at regular intervals
- Inspire, lead and motivate the state programme team to deliver project objectives, including technical advisors and consultants, and the finance and admin staff working on the project.
- Ensure the project and its team comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children.
Program Management and Implementation:
- Remain up to date on good practices recommended in the Global action plan for prevention and control of pneumonia (GAPP) as well as good practices on routine immunisation services to ensure programme quality and impact
- Oversee the development and successful implementation of state workplans for the programme components;
- Ensure the smooth running and coordination of Pneumonia; Programme activities.
- Work closely with the Programme MEAL Team the CO MEAL Team to develop appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans and with managers of technical components to ensure technical program objectives are met.
- Ensure compliance with all grant provisions, and timely fulfillment of the State programmatic reporting requirements.
- Support the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and procurement plan.
- Oversee timely expenditure of approved state budgets, avoiding both under spending and overspending on grant line items.
Human Resources Management and Administration:
- Supervise assigned advisors: maintain updated job descriptions for each position, conduct annual performance evaluations, identify staff skills development needs.
- See that all staff and partners are aware of and understand SCI policies and procedures; take appropriate disciplinary measures as needed.
- Ensure all administrative procedures are followed, such as those regarding vehicle use and procurement; ensure logistics/administrative staff provides sufficient and timely support to the team.
Representation and Leadership:
- Maintain good working relationships with government officials.
- Represent SC and maintain good working relationships among the international and local NGO community, among community leadership structures and community-based organizations, and to visiting donor teams and other key contacts.
- Maintain focus on SC programme principles.
- Encourage teamwork, openness, and honesty among staff and between SC and its partners.
Requirements, Skills and Experience
- Any other tasks assigned by the Chief of party.
- Academic: Advanced degree in public health or related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in programme management and administration, financial management, award contractual compliance, sub-award management, and tracking project performance and costs via specific funding streams. Five (5) of these years should be in child health and public health programs of similar complexity.
- At least 3 years of experience managing a programme that focuses on at least four of the following areas: prevention and treatment communicable childhood illnesses; social and behavioral change; quality improvement/quality assurance; and civil society capacity building.
- Proven experience of managing projects.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully fulfilling performance objectives, including the timely implementation and reporting of donor-funded program activities.
- Strong understanding of key principles of advocacy, monitoring and evaluation, child participation and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, mentor and direct staff while creating a positive team environment.
- Sound understanding of different methodologies of M&E and operational research and experience in developing integrated M&E and Learning systems;
- Ability to present results and products to the donor and other key stakeholders.
- Commitment to the values, missions, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Excellent English writing skills.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Works well with teams
- Conscious of child protection issues
- Non-discriminatory and gender sensitive
- Willingness to work in remote, rural locations
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
Application Closing Date
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency.
20th February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online