Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance Officer
Ref No: 1900009T
Employee Status: Permanent
- Level 3: The post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- This position will be responsible for implementing and/or coordinating all financial support functions for the state office.
Scope of Role:
Key Areas of Accountability
- Reports to: Finance Coordinator
- Staff reporting to this post: Cashier
- Have essential knowledge of Finance and Accounting. Ensure that roles and responsibilities are clearand havestrong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as: Finance policies and procedures, Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- Coordinate with the Line manager to ensure timely and appropriate cash flows, matched with the operational needs of the state office and budget forecasts, and in line with SC policies and donor requirements.
- Manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly financial reports and other reports to Abuja as required
- Ensure accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for the state office.
- Preparation and submission of monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliations to CO Abuja
Validate Purchase Vouchers:
- Represent Finance at Procurement Committee meeting
- Help ensure that timely and accurate information is generated and disseminated accordingly to the project team, to inform activity planning and forecasts.
- Process all banking activities in the state office, ensuring that bank account records are accurately maintained, and that bank statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service providers, and partners in line with SC policies & Donor requirements.Ensure all financial transactions in the state office are appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with SC & Donor policies.
- Make statutory payments to the relevant authorities such as PAYE, WHT, and PENSION deduction and ensure adequate documentation is kept in the office.
- Conduct state level finance induction for all new staff on finance policies, systems and procedure
- Support the state teams to provide administrative and technical support to the partners to ensure that all financial documentation and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis in line with SC policies, project agreements.
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in financial management in accordance with SC’s financial management policies.
- In collaboration with the line manager support monthly budget phasing and annual pipeline analysis as well as BVA commentary for specific award.
- Review partners/sub-awardee financial report and reconcile partners/Sub-awardee Account (5200).
- Responsible for monthly recharges processing (Reversal and reclass) as well as daily matching of transaction on Aggresso.
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Additional Job Responsibilities:
Behaviours (Values in Practice)
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Level of Education - B.Sc/HND or equivalent
- Specified Study Area - Finance / Accounts / Business Administration
Experience and Skills:
- Knowledge and experience in working with USAID regulations
- Experience in working with partners accountable for grants and other financial support provided to implement project activities, particularly at community level.
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Language Requirements: Spoken English-Excellent; Written English-Excellent
- Must be able to speak at least one local language predominant in that state.
- Level of IT Expertise: Excellent (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Professional certificate in accounting and finance
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handle last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to be creative and proactive health service improvement is essential.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
Application Closing Date
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
22nd February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online