INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: MEAL Officer
: Based in Banki, with possible travel to all INTERSOS field office in Borno State
Duration of contract: 9 month
Reporting to: FS Field Coordinator Banki
Collaborations: other MEAL Officers / Protection Officer / Nutrition Officer
- Main purpose of the job is to support the programs in all data collection, analysis, and learning activities to ensure accountability and efficiency.
The officer core function will be the following:
General Context of the Project
- Implement monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning systems with the communities
- Reporting on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning results
- Support the developing of remote monitoring systems
- Participate in ensuring the dissemination of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning results with the communities, INTERSOS team and supporting development of donor’s reports.
- When requested by management, participate in assessments and needs analysis.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The armed opposition insurgency started in 2009 and Maiduguri was the epicentre of the armed conflict. The armed conflict later spread to all twenty-seven (27) Local Government Areas (LGAs) of Borno State, North East Nigeria. The conflict took an international dimension as it spread to the Neighbouring countries of Cameroun, Niger and Chad, resulting in the displacement of millions of people across all four frontiers. The Armed Opposition Group (AOG) has been killing people in both Rural and urban centres in their quest to form a hairline Islamic State in the north east of Nigeria. A high number of towns and cities have been burned and destroyed. Social services and amenities have also Been destroyed and are now non-existent. Agricultural activities which used to be the source of food security and livelihoods among the rural communities of the North East are no longer existent. Joint military operations by Cameroun, Nigeria, Chad and Niger have resulted in the liberation of 15 LGAs.
Under the management of the Food Security and Livelihood Project Managers:
- Participate in planning and undertaking surveys, rapid assessments, as well as in the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning of the INTERSOS programs’ activities.
- Support the Food Security & Livelihood Manager in developing and strengthening monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning procedures
- Monitor dedicated project activities, expenditures and progress towards achieving the project output and outcomes
- Recommend further improvement of the logical frame works and help develop monitoring and impact indicator for the programs’ successes
- Provide feedback to the Food Security & Livelihood Manager and Program Managers on project strategies and activities
- Report weekly, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress on all project activities to the Food Security & Livelihood Manager and the Program Managers
- Provide inputs, information and statistics for quarterly, half-yearly, annual and other reports
- Participate in annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Food Security & Livelihood Manager and Program Managers in preparing relevant reports
- Assist the projects’ personnel with MEAL tools and in supporting them in their use
- Support the Food Security & Livelihood Manager in the integration of MEAL activities into country program.
- Collect, analyze and report information on the country Food Security and Livelihood program activities.
- Participate in ensuring timely and complete reporting from in-country executing partners in accordance with approved reporting formats.
- Collaborate in creating Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning frameworks and participate in planning and undertaking surveys, rapid assessments, as well as in the
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning of the program’s activities.
- Prepare Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning reports with statistics to regularly share the results and identify areas to improve.
- Participate on behalf of INTERSOS in appropriate technical meetings and conferences and perform other duties as delegated
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Relevant professional experience of two (2) years, preferably in emergency and/or development context;
- Prior experience working in MEAL
- Prior experience or familiarity with NGO sector would be an advantage;
- Good spoken and written English and relevant computer skills.
- A high respect to client/organization confidentiality.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people with special needs and other vulnerability.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced university degree would be an asset.
- Report writing skills.
- Experience of work in the UN or NGO or voluntary sector is preferred but not essential.
- Excellent analysis and reporting skills;
- Excellent communication and organization skills;
- Punctuality and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Ethical and transparent decision-making;
- High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Independent work, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity.
- Computer/IT literacy (OS Windows/Vista/Linux, MS Office, Internet etc.);
Application Closing Date
- Spoken and written English, knowledge of a Local language is appreciated.
15th February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
: Intersos does not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment. We regret that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.