Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-profit organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood, and enable children to prepare for – and respond to - crises and adversity. We believe in the power and potential of every child, but know this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme & Partnership Coordinator
Dimension of Role
- The purpose of this role is to build better programs and partnerships that advances the rights of the child and gender equality.
- The role therefore will focus on promoting and building effective and fruitful partnerships, recognizing that Plan Nigeria cannot achieve its purpose and ambition by working alone, but by working in partnership with other groups and organizations - children groups, girls’ groups, adolescent groups, community groups, civil society organizations, government, institutions, the private sector, and others.
- The role will also focus in providing strong all round technical support to the program team; support in the development of new program areas, resource mobilization, and support policy work.
- The post holder will be supervised by the Head of Programs and Business Development and expected to work very closely with other members of the program team, particularly the Project Leads and the Resource Mobilization Manager.
- The Program and Partnerships Coordinator’s role is about developing and implementing strategies to grow effective partnerships and programs that contribute effectively to the delivery of the Country Program’s purpose, ambition and goals, while also meeting partners’ objectives.
- The post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day management of Plan Nigeria partnership efforts; promoting inclusive partnerships based on principles and values; and working with the program team to identify the most appropriate implementing and strategic partners.
- The post holder will also be responsible in building partners and staff competencies in the management of partnerships; and in ensuring risks in partnership relationships are reduced to the barest minimum.
- In addition, the holder of this position will contribute to programme development, and support in resource mobilization.
- This role requires creativity while being realistic and practical. And calls for being proactive in writing proposals, preparing budgets, and working with others to gain consensus on a program approach.
Program Development & Quality Management;
- Participates in strategic planning, annual planning and budgeting and other program planning processes, and ensures that implementing partners are involved where appropriate.
- Provides leadership and management for all direct reports and ensure the establishment of and functioning of a strong, effective and coordinated team.
- Develops and implements a partnership strategy/framework and an annual plan that contributes to the attainment of the Country Program’s purpose and ambition.
- Coordinates the management of ongoing relationships with existing partners and where relevant, leverage those relationships to greater collective impact.
- Regularly communicates to the Program and Partnership Unit on organizational priorities and key decisions.
- Represents Plan International Nigeria with external stakeholders, by attending meetings, making presentations, and providing advice where necessary.
- Ensures that team members and all other colleagues uphold Plan shared values in all aspects of their work, perform their duties and functions in a collaborative, effective and supportive team environment.
- Coordinates with all other units as may be required for the support necessary to advance the work for partnership development.
- Identifies best practices and incorporates new ideas for partnership building.
- Ensures proper stewardship of Plan Nigeria resources, and adherence to government and donor policies and regulations.
- Coordinates the monitoring of partners’ progress in the implementation of program activities and expenditure.
- Ensures the integration of partners’ voice into program planning and the development of innovative projects.
Technical expertise, Skills and Knowledge
- Responsible for the overall management of the Humanitarian and Development Partner Development process, including reports, budget management and planning.
- Continually carries out partner mapping and facilitates the identification of full range of potential partners, and conducts mutual appraisal and risk assignment with them.
- Facilitates effective negotiation, development, appropriate signing and management of partnership agreements for partners and Plan International.
- Supports the Head of Programs and Business Development and in collaboration with partners to carry out annual partnership reviews for improved relationship and effective attainment of the partnership objectives.
- Promotes and ensures Plan International partnership principles, values and standards are understood and applied in Plan Nigeria partnership relationships.
- Supports partners to continually carry out self-capacity assessment that highlights areas in need of support, and agree on a Capacity Development plan for each of the partners, which may include training, mentoring, field trips, shadowing, exchange visits, and others.
- Works with partner organizations on program planning and design, and integrate their ideas and objectives into the Plan program, focusing on supporting partner ideas and strategies where possible.
- Sets up a monitoring agreement with each partner, with a duel emphasis on compliance and risk management for funds and goods, as well as a monitoring plan to measure the impact of the capacity building program on organizational capacity and ability to implement good quality programs.
- Ensures that partners receive adequate support on finance, logistics, HR, reporting and other organizational requirements.
- Builds a close, two way working relationship where partners are respected, listened to and supported and creates an open channel to discuss challenges and constraints as they arise.
- Supports program and other teams to identify appropriate and realistic entry points for work with partners on the ground, and ensure that the teams have the support to carry this out effectively and sensitively.
- Supports in the mobilization of partners towards a greater voice on issues affecting the rights of children, particularly the girl and gender equality.
- Ensures learning from partners is fed into Plan Nigeria strategic planning.
- Engages with partners in the humanitarian and development programs to capture learning and achieve synergy.
- Builds and manages relationships with strategic partners (including institutions) at different levels, current and potential funders to support the country program implementation and growth.
Application Closing Date
- A graduate of any Social Studies discipline, preferably post-graduate (master’s or higher) Degree in a development studies – specializing on development related discipline.
- Have at least 5 years’ experience working in the sector, including field and management experience.
- Advanced experience in partnership development.
- Strong knowledge of child and women’s rights and gender justice.
- Strong evidence of influencing decision and policy makers, and brokering cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Proven record of accomplishment of leadership within an international organization
- Compelling influencer and communicator – able to inspire, build consensus and bring people together around a common agenda.
- Experience with a diverse set of stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
- Project management and grant development experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in designing, implementing, and monitoring programs
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate.
- Experience in drafting project reporting and monitoring project progress.
- Experience of managing people and ability to build, develop and motivate a high performing team, prioritizing effective cross organizational working as a key element of high performance.
- Experience of managing budgets and planning and reporting protocols.
25th February, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online