Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Estimating and Assurance Lead
Ref Id: 103260BR
Skillpool: Project Services
Roles & Responsibilities
Qualifications & Experience
- Produce cost estimates (using cost estimating tools and methodologies) for major and complex projects particularly in the deep offshore environment, inclusive of engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning and start-up scope and costs. Incorporate project complexity factors into cost estimates reflecting key parameters such as project objectives, scope and execution plan.
- Translate the identified project scope and engineering deliverables into the estimate of capital expenditure costs composed of detailed MTOs matched with detailed pricing and construction unit hours down to Type-3 levels. Identify areas of uncertainty and apply appropriate allowances. Obtain credible data for estimating in-Country Scope elements.
- Formulate and validate methodologies for deriving quantities from design parameters. Perform scenario comparisons and uncertainty analyses and sensitivities on cost estimates, reflecting analysis of project risks.
- Develop Estimate Plan detailing how the estimate will be developed and Estimate Basis to document how estimate was developed.
- Comply with Company’s Life Saving Rules and all relevant HSSE Rules and Regulations, Business Ethics, Compliance and Anti-Bribery & Corruption (ABC) rules.
- Comply with Project Services standards, guides and Project Services management manual.
- Provide strategic analyses and normalisation of the large amount of bidder’s assumptions / qualifications impacting risk profile and costs to accomplish bid evaluation for various EPCs.
- Support the evaluation of high complexity and multiple EPC contracts of high values and thereby establish a fully risked and assured Level 3 cost estimate for GIP.
- Develop detailed project cost forecasts to Type-4. Incorporate project actuals and detailed MTOs matched with detailed pricing and construction unit hours for to-go costs
- Manage estimating data by establishing a process to collect actual cost performance, condition and normalise data for future use,
- Develop metrics and benchmarking information. Establish process to store estimate files in a consistent, secure location.
- Benchmark estimates by developing benchmarking packages at appropriate level to check estimate results from top down using both internal and external comparable data. Work with IPA forms and reports to understand comparison of Company projects to industry datasets.
- Utilise Technical, Economical, Commercial, Organisational & Political (TECOP) profile to establish appropriate deterministic cost contingency.
- Perform role of a subject matter expert within the Company global Project Management Services community.
- Contribute to professional development of less experienced professionals through coaching and training in estimating tools and techniques.
- Establish consistency between the Level 3 Schedule and Type 3 Cost Estimate throughout Front End Engineering Design for a successful Final Investment Decision (FID).
- Work in collaboration with other project Technical Leadership Team (TLT) members and the Business Opportunity Manager (BOM) as well as Company internal stakeholders, EPC contractors and other vendors as and when needed.
- Consistently engage Technical Authorities (TA) and ensure the cost estimate is fully assured (TA approved) and incorporate best practices/lesson learned from similar complex projects.
- Assess the impact of Management of Change (MOCs) proposals and identify alternate approaches to optimise plans.
- Understand local content risks and incorporate any impacts to the cost estimates.
- Assess productivity norms and benchmarking cost data for in-country project activities and other global locations.
- The Cost Estimate and Assurance Lead shall have an Engineering degree and/or Certified as a Cost Estimate and Assurance Engineer at Lead Role Capacity with minimum of 10-12 years industry experience in Cost Estimating in the Oil & Gas industry, including Five (5) + years in management/leadership roles working seamlessly with Planning /Cost Control/Risk Management Professionals.
He/She must meet the following requirements;
Application Closing Date
- An accredited Project Services Cost Estimating Professional Level 2 or equivalent.
- Have an understanding of deepwater developments and projects delivery in a challenging environment. Experience in deep water cost estimating is an advantage.
- Skilled in use of Company Cost Estimating tool or equivalent tools and Cost Estimate methodologies to produce cost estimates for major and complex projects particularly in the deep offshore environment, inclusive of engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning and start-up scope and costs.
- Skilled in probabilistic cost estimating.
- Fully conversant with various assurance processes such as Cost & Schedule Risk Assessment, Value Assurance Reviews, Estimate & Schedule Assurance Reviews, etc in the Define Phase.
- Must be confident and able to establish credibility with staff, peers, Global Discipline Head, Technical Authorities and Project Leadership Team.
- Have proven interpersonal and relationship skills in complex environments with ability to work with personnel of diverse background.
- Able to work with, and influence multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams. Maintain composure under pressure
- Able to develop team members and other less experienced professionals through coaching and training.
- Experience in or with NOVs, JVs and NOCs and/or execution in remote/developing locations will be an advantage.
- Able to support a complex mega project team spread across various geographical locations.
- Demonstrates high level of personal integrity, with ability to maintain confidentiality in providing robust Cost Estimate deliverables to a project in a dynamic environment.
- Able to think strategically and adapt to new ways of working to develop robust and collectively owned Type-3 cost estimates to support a Group Investment Proposal (GIP).
22nd March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested applicants should not apply for more than one of the roles advertised in the website. Submitting more than one application will lead to automatic disqualification of all the applicant's applications.
- We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
- Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
- The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
- Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.