Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Subsea Controls Engineer
Ref Id: 103263BR
Skillpool: Project Services
Roles & Responsibilities
Qualifications & Experience
- Deliver the Subsea Controls scope for a large and complex deepwater project in accordance with company policies and standards.
- Lead the project subsea controls engineering activities during tendering, detail design, fabrication, testing, installation, and support offshore commissioning.
- Address subsea controls related queries and technical clarification questions from vendors, develop technical evaluation criteria and deliver the technical evaluation of the subsea control system.
- Ensure that all deliverables, as defined in the project controls and assurance plan are completed successfully.
- Drive the identification, maturation and deployment of value adding new technologies and innovations to optimise the subsea controls scope.
- Deliver an integrated (MCS/DCS) subsea control system for the project, working collaboratively with all interfacing teams and Contractors.
- Develop/review schedules as required for own discipline activities and determine the deliverables and hold points necessary to meet the project requirements.
- Drive progress of the subsea controls scope throughout the project phases and ensure the equipment delivered meets the project requirements such as functional specifications, schedule, cost, production ramp-up, operability, reliability and availability.
- Ensure the equipment are installed correctly via creation of thorough installation and pre-commissioning procedures and that interfaces with all project team personnel are properly and effectively managed.
- Provide subsea controls engineering inputs in technical reviews and management of change to ensure technical integrity, efficiency, and safety of facilities.
- Ensure development of fit for purpose subsea control system quality plan and Inspection and Test Plan (ITP) and support recruitment and assignment of experienced QA/QC personnel to support equipment delivery.
- Carry out lessons learned workshops and after-action reviews to catalogue all lessons learned for lateral application on other projects.
- Provide technical mentoring & coaching of less experienced staff.
- Ensure that all work is done in a manner consistent with Company’s guidelines and policies.
- Support the Subsea Package Lead in managing the commercial scope, and in the management of external stakeholders and unit partners.
- Collaborate with other subject matter experts and technical authorities to deliver quality and seamless service as needed.
- Ensure that system wide integration and integrity are managed. Manage interfaces with other EPC contracts, and the project Subsea and Pipeline Team including implementation of required technical assurance on own scope.
- Ensure the project Nigerian Content targets for the subsea controls scope are achieved.
- Manage the HSSE performance of contractors during execution to ensure HSSE targets are achieved or exceeded – make HSSE a priority.
- Provide authentic and visible leadership in the areas of HSSE, diversity, coaching, interpersonal and technical skills development, and cost leadership.
- The Principal Subsea Controls Engineer shall have minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Subsea Engineering or equivalent with at least 12 years’ experience in upstream Exploration & Production projects with emphasis on Design and Execution in deepwater environment.
- At least 10 years experience directly related to delivery of Subsea Controls packages.
He/She shall meet the following requirements;
Application Closing Date
- A COREN registered or registerable engineer.
- Technical Professional with broad and deep knowledge of deepwater subsea controls system design, fabrication, installation, pre-commissioning and commissioning and should have played a key role in the delivery of at least one major deepwater project involving subsea infrastructure design and installation.
- Previous experience in the delivery of integrated MCS/DCS control system will be an advantage.
- Have previous experience working with Main Automation Contractors
- Able to work within and interface with mixed teams of professionals located globally.
- Have excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Experienced in managing major EPC contracts.
- Team player, self-motivated, with coaching skills, persistence, and with ability to think outside- the-box.
- Visibly demonstrates personal and company HSE commitment.
- Demonstrates capability to proactively implement plans and follow through with sustained execution, meeting project milestones.
- Values and is open to listening to stakeholder perspectives, including experience managing multiple stakeholders, and host government agencies.
- Able to maintain composure under pressure while providing clear and decisive leadership
- Able to deal with multiple, often conflicting, goals and priorities.
- Strong interpersonal skills – able to influence and develop relationships across disciplines and multiple cultures, be comfortable coaching and motivating others, and delivering through others.
- Able to identify opportunities for optimizing SURF systems designs, reducing operating costs and proposing technically robust solutions to deliver value.
- Familiar with project development challenges in Nigeria or in other regions with similar challenges.
22nd March, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Interested applicants should not apply for more than one of the roles advertised in the website. Submitting more than one application will lead to automatic disqualification of all the applicant's applications.
- We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
- Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
- The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
- Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.