The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
We seek candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles to fill the position below:
Job Title: Supply Chain/ Logistics Officer - P4 (FIT Pool)
Requisition No: 103206
Any City, Nigeria
- Are you passionate about developing supply chain and logistics solutions that will benefit the way WFP provides food assistance to thousands of beneficiaries? Are you interested in joining the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide? Are you ready to change and save the lives of the world's most vulnerable people? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
- At WFP, we are looking for talented professionals that would like to join our FIT Pool in Supply Chain and Logistics to provide expert advice and contribute to global / regional supply chain operations, or lead large field supply chain operations, to ensure an effective and integrated supply chain approach that meets the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and service provision requirements for partners.
- Supply Chain and Logistics are fundamental on the entire process of end-to-end planning, sourcing and delivering of assistance. This covers safe and quality food, goods and transport, as well as shared supply chain services for WFP, its partners and the entire humanitarian community.
- What is the FIT Pool? With the launch of the Future International Talent (FIT) Pool, WFP seeks to build a pool of highly qualified, dynamic professionals of all levels who wish to work in any of WFP’s countries of operation, including emergency and hardship duty stations.
- Professionals, at any point in their career that are looking for new challenges serving a humanitarian purpose, are welcome to join the WFP family to contribute to achieving Zero Hunger.
As a Supply Chain and Logistics Officer (P4 UN professional level), you will:
Standard Minimum Requirements
- Participate in the formulation and implementation of corporate supply chain strategies, business models and solutions to meet operational requirements.
- Align service or country strategy, policies and programmes to the global supply chain strategy and the WFP Strategic Plan, to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Analyze regional/country context and lead the design and management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to dedicatedly mitigate and address dynamic supply chain challenges and obtain operational optimization.
- Design, plan and handle implementation of innovative supply chain operations, initiatives and large scale services to ensure timely, cost-effective and integrated approach with core activities and services and in cooperation with key partners.
- Drive continuous improvement and innovation initiatives, analyzing standard methodologies from the humanitarian and development fields, academia and the private sector.
- Lead supply chain planning and oversee and coordinate periodic planning across functions and with partners to develop consensus on supply chain operational plans. Coordinate the implementation of agreed plans with key partners.
- Plan, monitor and manage resources to maximize the effectiveness of large supply chain operations.
- Foster productive partnerships with key partners amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs, the private sector and academia to share knowledge and resources and build capacity, resulting in coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Create and review Supply Chain budget plans and monitor ongoing project performance against budget, ensuring adherence to policies, and review financial analysis and advice on how to optimize resources.
- Lead market analysis and supply chain network mapping to select appropriate operation modalities that will improve supply chain performance.
- Lead your supply chain operations ensuring compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and assist in the implementation of corporate standards, with emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation, and cost-effectiveness.
- Regularly review the performance of supply chain operations to ensure that appropriate internal controls are in place.
- Coordinate management of service providers / vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations and safeguard WFP’s interests.
- Run accurate and timely reporting, including analysis of supply chain activities and trends to enable informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to a wide range of partners.
- Lead, motivate and develop your team by providing coaching, training and career guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitoring the management of specific supply chain risks to enable WFP, governments and other partners to quickly respond and deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
- Advanced University degree from a recognized university preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least 8 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a consistent track record in logistics or supply chain.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese required. Language will be tested.
Desired Experiences For Entry Into The Role:
Terms and Conditions
- Experience in leading supply chain/logistics operations, including coordination with internal and external stakeholders and partners, and supporting emergency programs;
- Experience in shaping and implementing operational supply chain strategies in a country;
- Experience in operational and strategic supply chain planning;
- Experience in developing and handling relationships, and building large scale initiatives with external partners;
- Experience in implementing/setting-up supply chain improvement and optimization initiatives to achieve cost efficiency, improved agility, reliability, and quality;
- Experience negotiating service arrangements with multiple third parties respecting WFP’s best interests;
- Experience in monitoring operational success and suggesting areas of improvements;
- Experience supervising teams of professional staff.
Application Closing Date
- If you are selected, you will be placed in the FIT Pool and may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations. The FIT Pool membership will last 2 years.
- Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. This position is rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational. Professional level positions are rotational on a period of 2 to 4 years.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
5th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.