The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: HR Officer, Staff Appointments
Ref. No: ECW/HR/22031905
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Human Resources
Division: Staff Welfare and Employee Services
Line Supervisor: Principal Officer Staff Welfare & Employee Services
Supervising: HR Assistants Compensation & Benefits
Role and Responsibilities
- Under the supervision of the Staff Welfare & Employee Services, this position administers the arrangements for all staff appointments, including compiling appointment packs, drafting appointment/Renewal/Extension/Termination letters ensuring adherence to Recruitment guidelines, and issuing letters of appointment timely.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Maintain database of the appointment letters and ensure accuracy of staff details are correctly captured and updated at all times;
- In conjunction with the Director Human Resources, prepare all employees offers contracts, permanent, temporary staff salaries in compliance with the contract agreement,
- Dispatch offers and collect assumption of duty documentation timely
- Facilitate the issue of appointment letters to all staff and ensure that records are kept up to date
- Support that payroll records are up to date and accurate with new staff whose appointments are confirmed and the letters are ready
- Plan staff on boarding/Exit and communicate timely information to Employee Relations Officer
- Ensure proactive and timely processing of staff exit
- Advise line managers and other employees on employment regulations and the employer's own employment policies and procedures;
- Safeguard staff members right to work at the organization,
- Provide accurate management information as and when required ;
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned by the Director Human Resources
- Bachelor degree in Law or Human Resource Management is required;
- technical knowledge of human resources management in a private/ public sector or international organization; in one or more of the following sub-functions: training, recruitment, performance management, manpower planning, salary policy, pension administration and/or the administration of employee terms and conditions of employment;
- knowledge of Staff Regulations, directives and policies of relevance to the execution of duties associated with the position.
- 3 Years’ experience in Legal or Human Resources Management;
- In-depth knowledge of Labor Law enforcement;
- In-depth knowledge of HR Management best practices;
- Practical use of Microsoft Office;
- Practical Knowledge of ERPs is an advantage
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to execute tasks, contact colleagues and contribute as needed towards decision making to ensure tasks are completed in a timely manner;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to model and advocate for compliance, good work ethics, flexibility and persistence to get job done coupled with an ability to influence positive teamwork and cooperation;
- Ability to work in teams to carry out semi-routine work including assigning work, training and checking work.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to engage with clients in positive exchanges that establishes mutual expectations, understanding and reduces uncertainties and conflicts;
- Ability to keep clients informed on matters of relevance to expectations, establishing “bring forward” systems and introducing other procedures/techniques to ensure that service standards are maintained;
- Ability to make decisions based on guidelines, procedures and precedents and maintain confidentiality and discretion with clients;
- Well-developed problem-solving, critical thinking and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to perceive the moods and feelings of others, and to understand the attitude, interests, needs, and perspectives of others;
- Well-developed ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, open to understanding diverse cultural differences especially within West Africa;
- Ability to listen attentively to people’s ideas, requests and concerns and to explain to others the need for diversity management in every day workplace practices;
- Basic understanding of the ECOWAS organization mandate and its functions;
- Ability to explain the functional area assigned to and the contributions it makes to the organization and its mandate;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS semi-routine procedures, processes and practices as it relates to assigned responsibilities and information systems;
- Ability to apply ECOWAS standards in emailing, reporting, correspondences, etc. and to contribute to implementing associated changes as directed.
- Ability to carefully review and check the accuracy of information in work reports provided by management, management information systems or other individuals;
- Good knowledge of office monitoring indicators of relevance to own work and ability to provide brief reports or updates;
- Ability to edit, check, track and review documents prepared by others and reorganize data or information according to instructions using latest technology;
- Efficiently retrieves, inputs, edits, formats, transmits and links electronic file data used for analysis and understands data management operations;
- Demonstrated computer skills to communicate using tools, to write and format documents appropriately for presentation, the web, proposals, reports and other documents;
- Ability to proofread, edit and revise documents to ensure they follow standard conventions for punctuation and mechanics and formatted in accordance to ECOWAS communication standards;
- Ability to relay/redirect complete and accurate messages to appropriate persons/departments;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize information and materials for others, solving minor problems and checking for completeness and compliance to standards and instructions;
- Knowledge of techniques to prioritize tasks in fast paced workplace with frequent interruptions and moving deadlines and adaptability/ flexibility to meet work expectations;
- Understanding and adherence to the policies, procedures and guidelines required to support the ECOWAS planning cycle at the individual and organizational level;
- Good initiative with an ability to identify what needs to be done and take action in a proactive manner.
Annual Salary (UA 42,916.53/USD 67,713.70) / (UA 49,106.81/USD 77,480.72)
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here For More Information