The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Humanitarian Operations/ECOWAS Emergency Response Team (EERT)
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Social Affairs and Gender
Directorate: Humanitarian and Social Affairs
Division: Humanitarian Affairs
Line Supervisor: PPO Humanitarian Affairs
Role and Responsibilities
- The Humanitarian Operations / EERT Officer will be responsible for the coordination, communication, monitoring, reporting and liaison with key humanitarian actors and authorities to support an effective humanitarian response.
- The Humanitarian Operations Officer must be able to provide sound analytical inputs and advice that contribute to improving institutional capacity and ability to articulate policy on a growing number of humanitarian and relief assistance issues.
- In addition, to manage the EERT including the management of a roster to ensure systematic data management of humanitarian personnel and readiness and availability for deployment.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in affected country.
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g. drafts sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, briefings, case studies, presentations, correspondences, etc.
- Partner with other humanitarian agencies to gather and share data, ensure inter-agency strategic planning and evaluate relief programmes for gap analysis and to ensure the latest findings, lessons learned, socio-political factors and cultural/gender norms are incorporated.
- Support interagency contingency planning. Build consensus and facilitate collaboration.
- Assists humanitarian community in capacity-building and organizes training in relation to humanitarian emergency.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance in the context of the humanitarian relief fund.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, media, etc.
- Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, e.g. participates in rapid assessment and field trips to undertake in-depth reviews of specific country coordination mechanisms.
- Ensure coordination of quick and effective response to natural disasters and other rapid-onset emergencies, using an integrated package of global, regional and nationally recognized services and tools.
- Ensure promotion of appropriate doctrine and field practice on application of Civil Military Coordination or Cooperation (CIMIC or CIMCOORD)
- Performs other duties as required.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- PO, Disaster Risk Management
- PO, Emergency, Logistic & Planning
- Bachelor's degree in political science, social science, public administration, international studies, economics, engineering, health sciences, public health, or a related field from a recognized university;
- 7 years of relevant experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness and response, logistics operations and practices, rehabilitation and development;
- Knowledge of key ECOWAS Regional humanitarian assistance tools, emergency response mechanisms and related human rights and gender equality instruments;
- Experience in conducting risk assessment during emergencies, crisis and managing databases and implementing strategies for prevention and response.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to get groups to work together cooperatively, by enlisting active involvement, creating a climate for respect and openness, and applying effective techniques for group facilitation, explore their potentials, motivate and guide them;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to assign work to direct reports and provide timely and consistent feedback regarding technical proficiency and effectiveness;
- Ability to represent the organization effectively before external parties.
- Ability to consider the impact of a shift in programmatic direction to the needs of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to promote and consider staff feedback to streamline processes in order to meet deadlines of relevance to client expectations;
- Ability to consistently maintain composure and direction in high- pressure situations;
- Develop problem solving, mediation and conflict resolution skills to address discrepancies, complaints, bottle necks, time constraints affecting quality and quantity of client services;
- Ability to communicate openly with clients, keeping them informed of progress and issues requiring attention/resolutions.
- Ability to implement programmatic changes in a manner that ensures a biased-free work environment, fair and equitable application to new rules/regulations;
- Experience and ability to adhere to policies, goals, objectives, and principles of valuing diversity in performing everyday duties and responsibilities; promoting/modelling behaviors that demonstrate tolerance and understanding of various cultures;
- Ability to build value from leveraging diverse capabilities and inputs from various cultures, staff and clients;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions and how the different organs relate to each other, particularly as it relates to own work sector/programs;
- Knowledge of approaches to policy and program development of an international organization as well as project management;
- Knowledge of the rules, processes and procedures of an international organization, of pertinence to tasks related to own position;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- creativity and flexibility to deviate from traditional methods in developing new procedures, processes and tools, using technology to simplify methods and approaches whenever possible;
- Ability to gather and summarize information to predict stakeholder views on a new policy/programmes; and excellent analytical skills to assess external policies and trends when reviewing policy/programme options, pros, cons and recommendations;
- Ability to synthesize complex information gathered from a variety of external and internal sources and disseminate it to others in a logical manner;
- Ability to apply appropriate methodology to discover or identify policy issues and resource concerns.
- Ability to evaluate, incorporate, and communicate the latest developments in specialty area using institution/agency guidelines and criteria;
- Develop interpersonal, negotiation, networking and presentation skills with proven abilities to influence, explain complex information and demonstrate empathy and open-mindedness;
- Ability to demonstrate operational proficiency in the use of computer in communicating using technology tools;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both written and verbal expressions;
- Exhibit active listening skills to encourage stronger communication amongst team members, to show care and make them feel valued and to drive employee engagement in all institutions and agencies;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of internal planning cycles and ability to contribute to the development and to implement Community-wide or institution policy by determining target audience, building coalitions with the appropriate population, and monitor progress;
- Ability to consider external circumstances, factors and trends when organizing project activities to ensure the best outcomes;
- Ability to review process outcomes, correspondence, reports, and policy documents to develop achievable plans;
- Ability to adjust project plans based on input from staff and stakeholders and/or ability to design and implement guidelines, tools and templates to accommodate new or revised programmes and services.
Annual Salary: UA 56,591.37 - USD 89,289.87
Application Closing Date
25th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information