African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Commercial Credit Officer - Non-Sovereign Credit Risk
Position N°: 50062923
The Hiring Department
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President ; Independent Development Evaluation Department ; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit ; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board ; Administrative Tribunal ; Office of the Auditor General ; Group Risk Management Function; General Counsel and Legal Services Department ; Communication and External Relations Department ; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
- The Group Risk Management Function (PGRF) develops policies and guidelines, methodologies and systems relating to credit risk assessment, market risk and operational risk and ensures internal consistency of all of the Bank’s risk management policies and guidelines, including those initiated and developed by other departments.
- The main mandate is to safeguard the Bank’s financial integrity and consolidate all core risk management activities of the Bank in order to exercise comprehensive oversight over the Bank’s risk exposure.
- In delivering its mission, PGRF focuses largely on promoting the Bank Group’s strategic goals within a defined risk tolerance framework.
The key objectives of the Non-Sovereign Credit Risk Unit (PGRF1), within the broad mandate of Risk Management Function (PGRF), are to:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure adequate assessment of credit risk of new non-sovereign operations as well as regular review of the Bank’s non-sovereign credit portfolio;
- Develop policies and guidelines, methodologies and systems relating to non-sovereign credit risk assessment and management for the Bank;
- Ensure internal consistency of all Bank’s non-sovereign credit risk policies and guidelines including those initiated and developed by other Departments;
- Monitor and report on compliance with policies and guidelines; and
- Contribute to the development of strategic risk metrics and a risk culture within the organization through the following: (i) Managing the risk profile of the Bank’s non-sovereign portfolio to protect the Bank’s AAA credit rating and reputation; and (ii) Strengthening the Bank’s internal risk framework by improving credit processes.
Under the overall supervision and guidance of the Unit Head PGRF1, the Principal Commercial Credit Officer performs the following:
Assess non-sovereign credit risks by:
- Preparing Summary Credit Notes, advising appropriate credit risk ratings and making recommendations with respect to the further processing of individual transactions;
- Regularly reviewing existing transactions and their credit ratings as well as the adequacy of impairment provisions, if required;
- Assessing specific risks of proposed individual non-sovereign transactions and recommend appropriate credit enhancement or risk mitigation measures.
- Advising operations departments on the correct structuring of transactions with a view to mitigate risk.
- Participating in due diligence missions on new non-sovereign transactions and supervision missions on active projects, contributing to a better understanding of risks associated with them and of risk mitigation options;
- Advise appropriate pricing terms in consultation with syndication and investment officers.
Participate in the development and updating of commercial credit risk management policies, guidelines, processes and procedures for their implementation by:
- Regularly reviewing the adequacy and appropriateness of policies, guidelines and procedures and proposing amendments as they may become necessary;
- Participating in the development and upgrading of commercial credit risk identification and assessment methodologies, including appropriate assessment, monitoring and management of tools and systems;
Participate in portfolio monitoring and reporting by:
- Monitoring of compliance with existing credit limits, KPIs and thresholds;
- Establishing and forecasting trends with respect to portfolio concentrations and proposing portfolio management initiatives to mitigate concentration risks.
- Preparing technical notes and/or papers or conduct studies of interest to the Bank on commercial credit risk and related issues.
Participate in risk related discussions by:
- Participating in management review committees and Board Committee sessions on non-sovereign transactions.
- Propagating a risk culture and serving as technical focal point.
- Interacting with Internal and External Auditors and Rating Agencies.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Risk Management, International Finance or Economics
- Have a minimum of 6 years work experience in credit assessment in private sector banking or multilateral development banking
- Hands-on experience of credit risk assessment, deal negotiation and structuring in emerging and underdeveloped markets
- Familiarity with project finance, corporate lending, lending to financial institutions and private equity funds
- Ability to build risk tools and methodologies are desirable
- Knowledge of capital adequacy standards is required
- Considerable knowledge and experience of credit risk management techniques, sophisticated risk management products and risk management best practice;
- High degree of personal commitment, interpersonal skills with clear strategic vision and proven communication and leadership skills,
- Teamwork and Relationships: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Operational effectiveness: The commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills, with the ability to analyse complex information to identify the key issue/action and drive resolution.
- Innovation & Creativity: The commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- Communication: Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and Power Point); knowledge of SAP (or other integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis packages is an added advantage.
26th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online