African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Manager, Business Development Budget & Results
Position N°: 50093572
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Bank has reorganized and is developing the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex whose major objective is to build regional capabilities and bring responsibility for client activities closer to the regions
- Five Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Hubs have been created, each run by a Director General: Southern Africa, North Africa, West Africa; East Africa, and Central Africa.
- The Division is responsible for the budget performance monitoring framework and preparation of the statutory budget and work programme performance reports to the Boards.
- The Manager Business Development Budget & Results is responsible for the overall coordination of the work programme planning, budget & resource management, including performance monitoring and contributes to building capacities on budget management to ensure compliance with the budget management policies and guidelines.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The key objectives of the Manager Business Development Budget & Results are as follows: Coordinate the process and systems for developing Budgets to support Business Development and to monitor performance thereafter in meeting the objectives of the High 5s.
- The Manager ensures data quality management for reporting purposes and provide quantitative and qualitative analyses on Performance for decision making.
The Manager will coordinate the implementation of the budget development and performance monitoring and reporting activities. Main duties include the following:
- Coordinate the preparation of the Periodic Budgets and Work Programme Performance Reports of the Bank’s Development Projects; Prepare institutional performance reports and propose corrective measures for variances and discrepancies;
- Coordinate periodic reports to Management on Bank performance comprising of:
- Quarterly Budget and Work Performance Report;
- Retrospective Review of the Administrative and Capital Expenditure Budgets and Performance Report and;
- Other Ad hoc Reports requested by Management or by the Board;
- Lead the analysis on Performance Monitoring Data for periodic assessment of resource utilization status and propose corrective measures for variances and discrepancies to ensure that resources are properly assigned based on Performance guidelines;
- Lead the development/revision of the KPIs in order to rationalize for more value adding and effective monitoring and reporting system; Monitor Institutional and Complex KPIs against targets set by the Bank;
- Conduct independent research and analyses on Performance and budget issues, identify problems, propose solutions and make recommendations to Management;
- Ensure the enhancement of the Business Intelligence tool (KPI Dashboard) and the fine-tuning and improvement of simplified Performance Monitoring tools;
- Elaborate and coordinate responses to queries from Board Members with respect to the statutory Budgets and Work Programme Performance reports and contribute to the elaboration of PBD and other Ad-hoc reports;
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting of the performance of organizational units on budget and related work programs;
- Organize and conduct training including production of training material on Performance Monitoring and reporting.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Business Management, Finance, Accounting, Economics or related fields.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience with three (3) of them at a senior level and exposure to international, multicultural contexts.
- Experience in budgeting and reporting with good knowledge of Bank’s financial and operational strategies.
- Knowledge of operational strategies, policies, rules, procedures and practices of the Bank or similar Institutions.
- Capacity to diagnose and resolve multiple, concurrent problems; a conceptual and strategic analytical capacity to understand the competing requirements of resources allocation and budgeting activities.
- Experience in budget administration, managing objectives and work programs.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- High-level skills in communication as well as ability to build partnerships with a broad range of clients and deliver results.
Behavioral Competencies (tick the behavioral competencies applicable to the role):
- Ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results.
- Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions and manage multiple competing priorities to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Ensures that the client (internal or external) is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Comprehensively understands projects structures, including project planning, risk management strategy, issue management strategy, communication management strategy, lessons learned and handover, and other critical success factors, strategies, policies, procedures and practices of other similar institutions.
- Has an acute knowledge and understanding of the elements essential for the effective delivery and measurement of development impacts through projects and programs in Africa.
- Ability to innovate, influence, and implement new country and regional integration strategy approaches essential to the operational effectiveness of the assigned Division and achievement of the clients’ development aspirations.
- Highly developed strategic thinking skills allied to an ability to translate strategic concepts and direction into the implementation of workable and sustainable projects and programs.
- Ability to define and effectively drive the Division’s activities under uncertain and challenging circumstances.
Executing for Results:
- Ability to pull together all aspects of project origination and drive the process in order to deliver the lending program.
- Ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions.
- Ability to work under pressure in a multicultural organization.
- Strong analytical and communication skills, both verbally and in writing, with a sense of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Managerial/Leadership competencies: (for holders with team management/supervisory roles)
- Continuously expands understanding of relevant business products, practices and systems/technology. Shares knowledge and expertise with others.
- Team Building & Relationship Management: Leads effectively to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and the workload.
- Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive working and team environment in his/her areas of responsibility.
- Influential: Can build a vision of how the division should be in terms of corporate culture/climate, broad objectives/goals/targets, then motivate and inspire staff to move forward as individuals, as a unit, and as upstanding Bank representatives. Also applies the same competency when engaging with external stakeholders, understanding what motivates them and when beneficial and practical, how to navigate through resistance.
- Decisive: Good judgement about when to make decisions, knowing when to get counsel from whom and how to apply it, and being clear about what needs to happen, how, when and by whom, and monitoring/delegating as needed.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
Application Closing Date
- Competence in the use of standard MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
27th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.