African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Coordinator, Affirmative Finance Action for Women in Africa
Position N°: 50093686
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Agriculture, Human, and Social Development’ is a Sector Complex focusing on two of the Bank’s Ten Year Strategy High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The complex objectives are (i) to develop, policy and strategy; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by gathering pools of experienced individuals who can be consulted to provide sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) the Vice President will act as the spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on aspects of “Feed Africa” and Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”.
- The role of the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department is under the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex focusing on the Bank’s TYS High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. Furthermore, “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa” will be operationalized with focus on Gender, Women and Civil Society.
- The Affirmative Finance Action for Women in Africa (AFAWA) Program is a flagship program of the Bank that aims to bridge the gender gap in access to finance and unleash women’s entrepreneurial capacity across the continent. AFAWA’s holistic approach focuses on 3 pillars: (a) access to finance, leveraging AfDB’s various instruments such as lines of credit, equity investments and risk sharing mechanisms, (b) technical assistance, to financial institutions as well as women entrepreneurs, and (c) policy dialogue to reform the legal and regulatory frameworks affecting women businesses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Affirmative Finance Action for Women in Africa (AFAWA) Program Coordinator reports to the Director Gender, Women and Civil Society Department.
- The AFAWA Program Coordinator will be responsible to provide overall strategic direction for AFAWA and ensure that AFAWA’s development goals are met in delivering transformative financing for women owned enterprises with a special focus on small and medium scale enterprises.
- He/She will also coordinate the work of other members of the AFAWA Team (including decentralized staff), and work closely with other relevant Departments and Sectors to ensure effective implementation of AFAWA across all the Bank’s operations.
Under the oversight of the Director Gender, Women And Civil Society Department, The AFAWA Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the AFAWA Program, which includes:
- Support the delivery of AFAWA’s vision and objectives, including under each of the High 5 Agenda.
- Engage with internal and external partners and integrate the AFAWA key performance drivers across Bank operations.
- Coordinate all Bank-wide activities related to AFAWA i.e. financing mechanisms; technical assistance, policy dialogue and knowledge management.
- Work closely with the Gender, Women and Civil Society Department, at all levels, to harmonize the integration of the Gender Agenda and women’s financial inclusion in particular, in Bank’s operations and policy dialogue.
- Develop Monitoring & Evaluation methodologies and produce regular reports for dissemination to Committees, Board, cross-departments and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate co-financing and resource mobilization activities in close collaboration with the Bank’s Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Department.
- Prepare and manage the AFAWA Team’s annual work plan and budget, in line with AFAWA business plan and strategy, as agreed by Senior Management.
- Supervise and mentor the AFAWA Team, including staff, consultants and technical assistants.
- Serve as AFAWA’s principle spokesperson by clearly articulating its broad goals and objectives and being a voice on key issues related to women’s business enterprises in Africa.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in one or more of the following areas: Gender, Economics, Finance, International Relations, Development Studies, Public Policy, Business Administration; Relevant qualification in development project management and project finance, in Small & Medium Enterprise-size finance, gender financing and financial inclusion is a plus.
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience and expertise in (i) producing financial and non-financial/advisory services strategies and operations in Africa, particularly in business banking, Small & Medium-size Enterprise sector finance and financial inclusion and/or (ii) producing gender-sensitive financial inclusion strategies and programs, specifically working on issues around women in rural areas and women in business; (iii) mobilizing resources and engaging with the donor community; of which three (3) years in a management position.
- Experience working with African financial and private sector stakeholders (policy makers, regulators, financial institutions, multinationals, Small & Medium-size Enterprise sectors).
- Experience in resource mobilization and public-private partnership development
- Track record of engaging at the highest level with African governments, companies, civil society and development institutions.
- Proven ability to manage high performing teams to achieve visionary and challenging goals and ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Proven inter personal skills and ability to mobilize diverse and multicultural teams & partners for delivery.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and/or French, with a strong working knowledge of the other, ability to manage a bilingual team.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
27th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.