African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Treasury Accountant
Position N°: 50055300
The Hiring Department
- The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
- The Financial Control Department is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group. Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
The Principal Treasury Accountant is responsible for:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing, timely and accurate accounts and reporting of all transactions related to Treasury products of the Bank Group in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards and rules of the Bank Group
- Providing accurate financial reports to Management, Boards of Directors, bilateral donors and other stakeholders for useful decision making
- Maintaining the accounting procedures of the Bank Group and provide accounting and reporting guidance on various Bank Group initiatives
- Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, the main responsibility of Principal Treasury Accountant will be to propose the accounting treatment for all Treasury products including capital market activities, investments, borrowings and derivatives.
Other activities include:
- Participate in the formulation and review of accounting policies and practices with respect to Treasury Products
- Provide ongoing technical accounting guidance, including proactively participating in significant complex financial transactions and communicating financial statements implications to Management
- Verifies all journal vouchers and accounting entries relating to Treasury products
- Participate in the preparation and technical review of periodic financial statements and reports produced in the Division
- Support the efficient implementation of new IFRS that relate to Treasury products of the Bank Group and participates in the implementation of new accounting standards.
- Participate in the review of investment guidelines and other treasury operations’ related guidelines and policies.
- Represent the Division in the Interest Rate working Group and other relevant ALCO working groups during the discussions for the introduction of any new treasury products.
- Work closely liaises with Internal and External Auditors and responds to their queries on the audit of the Financial Statements.
- Execute any other work assigned by the Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's Degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or Applied Economics.
- Have a minimum of six (06) years of practical experience related to Treasury accounting: hedge accounting, financial reporting of Treasury activities, accounting procedures, IFRS, etc…
- Membership with a professional Accounting board.
- Private sector experience is an added advantage
- Solid demonstrable ability in accounting of Treasury products and applying IFRS standards
- Ability to effectively Apply new and revised IFRS standards to ensure compliance
- Effective consulting and advisory skills that enable clients and help them build their confidence and skills to deal with HR issues
- Ability to technically and effectively handle accounting for treasury products
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision as well as part of a multicultural team
- Ability to drive change
- Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team Working & Relationship Management
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of SAP Finance
27th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.