African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Accounts Assistant - Grant Section
Position N°: 50000729
The Hiring Department
- The Vice Presidency for Finance oversees the financial management of the Bank Group.
- This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
- The Financial Control Department is responsible for accounting for the financial consequences of the Bank Group’s transactions and decisions, and for the preparation, fair presentation and overall integrity of the internal financial reports and published financial statements.
- The department is also responsible for loan administration and accounting and related fiduciary responsibilities, including disbursement of funds to projects and programs financed by the Bank Group.
- Lastly, the department provides decision support and expertise in the development and implementation of financial control policies, operational and financial strategies and related information systems.
The Senior Accounts Assistant - Grant Section is responsible for:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring complete, timely and accurate accounting for and reporting of all transactions of the Trust Funds and special initiatives.
- Ensuring effective internal control around the accounting activities of the Trust funds and special initiatives, by ensuring that financial transactions reported on the accounts are proper and accurately recorded in the appropriate accounting period.
- Providing decision useful financial reports to Management, Board of Directors, donors and other stake holders.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, Senior Accounts Assistant – Grant Section will perform the following:
- Participate in the overall evaluation of internal control around banking activities as far as they relate to Trust Funds activities.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors to provide them with all information requested.
- Prepare and submit a quarterly based financial statements of the Trust Funds and special initiatives.
- Accounting for Inter-Company transactions and reconciling intercompany receivable accounts between Bank Group and Trust funds
- Carry out validity checks of receivable balances from one period to another with the view to justifying significant movements
- Accounting for contributions received from donors and reconciling with TFMS (Trust Funds Management System)
- Carry out regular reconciliations to ensure that all reports accurately reflect the result of the activities of those funds
- Reconcile the expenses recorded at the general accounting system, cost accounting system (CO) and the TFMS and ensure that the discrepancies, if any, are cleared
- Liaise with FIRM and other operations departments to ensure the accuracy of:
- The funds received as contributions
- Total disbursements
- Additions to new activities and cancellation of activities
- Budgets allocated to the activities.
- Liaise with CHHR.2 (Human Resources Shared Services) and Benefits to ensure that all wages and benefits related to Technical Assistants (TAs) have been posted.
- Request the Administrative Expenses Division (FIFC.2) about 15 days before the closing of accounts to settle outstanding payments on the accounts "payable" and to clear the "receivable" accounts.
- Check the suspense accounts and Liaise FIFC.2/CHHR.2/ CHGS(General Services And Procurement) to clear the outstanding balance.
- Liaise with Accounts Payable and Treasury Department for the provision of financial information to donors
- Execute any other work assigned by the supervisor or the Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a first degree/Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, Audit, Business Administration, or Banking.
- Have a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience
- Private sector experience is an added advantage.
- Experience in an accounting firm of international repute.
- Experience in applying rules and regulations, procedures and practices of international organizations.
- Demonstrated competencies for accuracy, attention to detail, integrity and update knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Ability to drive change.
- Ability to be flexible, open minded with integrity.
- Client orientation.
- Team working and relationship Management.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of SAP Finance
27th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (the post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment)