The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Transport Admin Support - Intern
Ref Id: 10/19 ABJ
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 6 months
Start Date: 1st May, 2019
Type of Post: British High Commission
Job Subcategory: Corporate Services Support
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Main Purpose of Job
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- To provide back room support to the Deputy Transport Manager in day to day running of the British Embassy transport section, providing a quality and efficient service to staff and stakeholders in compliance with British Government policies/procedures.
- Monitoring of vehicle fuel usage and report to the Deputy Transport Manager
- Communicate changes on assigned daily details to drivers and ensure drivers carry out their detail at the right time
- Collection and filing of AV checklists conducted by team leaders
- Manage staff overtime and annual leave within the department and providing forward planning support to the Deputy Transport manager
- Collection of weekly fuel level from all BHC locations and submitting to the transport manager
- Ensure logistics requirements of the fleet are closely managed and maintaining regular service schedules.
- Ensure security and safety procedures are strictly adhered to by all transport staff
- Implement drivers’ leave roster
- Man the transport helpdesk and helpline
- Collate private transport charges on a monthly basis
- Collate drivers monthly activity record
- Monitor drivers’ overtime
- Support the Deputy Transport Manager in booking transport requests.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Must possess a university degree in Transport /Fleet/Logistics/ Supply Chain Management
- Flexible approach to problem solving with an ability to think on their feet
- Ability to work in a high paced team
- Demonstrate good interpersonal skills
- A self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Good organisational skills - capable of working quickly and accurately
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office tools
- Relevant training records / certificates in either Transport, General Administration or Customer Services.
- Good data analysing skills
- Familiar with the Nigerian transport system and the Abuja road networks
- Possess a valid driver’s licence
- At least 2 years relevant work experience
- Other university degree or an HND qualification
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Starting Monthly salary - N135,419/month.
Application Closing Date
7th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British High Commission will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Abuja are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Nigeria.
All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
The British High Commission do not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-competency-framework Please note: AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- If you don’t already hold a valid SA Police Clearance Certificate, we recommend that you apply for the certificate at the time of your application.