African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communication and Event Officer
Position N°: 50093584
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development
- Bank and the African Development Fund. The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Divison:
- The purpose of the Communication and External Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the incumbent will assume the role as the responsible point person for event planning and coordination within the team and ensure communication project are brought to closing and deliverables are met.
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the Communication and Events Coordinator has the following responsibilities:
- Act as primary focal point for all internal and external stakeholders related to strategic events
- Develop an events masterplan including every aspect of the event, from venue choice to planning, design and production, success metrics, while managing all project delivery elements within time limits
- Organize, attend event preparation meetings and follow up on important actions and decisions from meetings and distribute minutes and relevant document to all project team members.
- Ensure event preparation deadlines are met.
- Organize press events and promotional activities: press conference, press briefing, training for medias, project site visits
- manage all event’s details such as venue branding and decor, catering, entertainment, transportation, location, invitee list, special guests, equipment, promotional material
- Do final checks at the day of the event (branding, audiovisual, presentation, etc.) to ensure everything meets standards
- Gather information and negotiate contracts prior to closing any deals
- Excel in the use of internal systems and procedures to coordinate travel logistics of speakers/trainers/staff (air, hotel, per diem)
- Create event budgets and follow up on the processing and payment of invoices ensuring compliance to Bank procurement policies
- Keep financial and timelines under control at all times
- Provide on-site support for events and oversee event happenings and act quickly to resolve problems.
Communication and Media Management:
- Support the media relations team to answer enquiries from the press or other media representatives
- Monitor media coverage of events
- Draft in English and French and disseminate press releases, media advisories, web articles
- Draft in English and French all supporting documents including save the dates, invitations, concept notes, event outlines and agendas
- Assemble and distribute electronic press kits and develop event key messages
- Propose media interviews opportunities to journalists and facilitate interviews
- Interview participants and speakers at Bank major events
- Develop event communication roll out plans and templates
- Support and guide journalists attending events
- Identify and negotiate Public Relations partnerships and speaking opportunities for major corporate communication events
- Develop a database of event moderators
- Negotiate advertisement placement rates for major events
- Work closely with graphic designers and multimedia team to develop and program content
- Act as the Communication focal point for the Bank’s major events (Annual Meetings, Africa Investment Forum, African Economic Conference, and other flagship events)
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Application Closing Date
- Hold a Master's Degree in Communication, Journalism or related areas
- Have a minimum four (4) experience in journalism, preferably in a newsroom
- Journalistic background with strong written and verbal communication skills, able to deliver clear, concise information tailored to specific and varied audiences.
- Proven experience in event planning or event coordination in a corporate environment
- Good overall knowledge of communication and media platforms
- Excellent command of English and French (written and spoken)
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Excellent organizational, negotiation, and multitasking skills
- Customer service and relationship building skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized, ensuring quality and consistent output.
- Ability to effectively solve problems, think creatively, make decisions and act, exercising independent judgment.
- Ability to maintain a professional and positive attitude and work with a team or independently with little guidance in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint.).
30th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.