African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Governance and Economic Management Officer
Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire / Tunisia
Position N°: 50051052 / 50070434/ 50065443
- The Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP Complex) core objective is to give greater visibility and prominence to knowledge, its dissemination and management.
- This is done through the (i) generation of access to operationally relevant, multi-sector research on African development issues; (ii) the narrowing of the data statistics gap in Africa by improving the availability, quality and coverage of statistics, for policy formulation, implementation, evaluation and effective monitoring of progress and contributing to the development of cooperation statistics in Africa.
- ECVP is also the focal point for capacity development and provision of training with a clear focus on those areas most relevant to ensuring economic growth and efficient implementation of Bank-financed projects and enhancing their impact.
The Hiring Departments:
- The Governance and Public Financial Management Coordination Office (ECGF) is in the complex of the Chief Economist / Vice Presidency for Economic Governance and Knowledge Management (ECVP), based at the Headquarters in Abidjan, and is responsible for coordination and operationalization of the Bank’s Governance policy, strategy and programs, including lending and non-lending work.
- ECGF works in collaboration with the other complex’s and departments of the Bank towards ensuring (i) that the Bank’s substantive technical engagement with key policy and strategy processes in the area of governance and public financial management are properly coordinated; and (ii) that the Bank’s interventions in Regional Member Countries, through program-based operations/ budget support and institutional strengthening projects promote effective and accountable governance and public financial management
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Principal Governance and Economic Management Officer (PL-4) will be responsible for the origination, processing, supervision and general portfolio management of governance sector operations.
- These operations include budget support operations and institutional support projects, as well as targeted diagnostic works with a focus on building effective institutions that promote equity, transparency and accountability in the management of public resources.
- He/She will also contribute to conducting country level policy dialogue on key governance issues.
- He/She is expected to provide specialist advice and inputs to the Bank Group’s operational activities, through review of technical design and institutional arrangements for governance projects/programmes proposed for Bank’s funding and assessing their feasibility from the perspective of present and future impact.
- He/She will also contribute to forging partnerships and strengthening initiatives in the area of governance.
- The work accomplished will contribute to realization of the Bank’s governance work programme as it relates to the implementation of the Bank’s High Fives priorities: Feed Africa; Light-up Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Lives of the people of Africa.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of Governance and PFM Coordination Office the Principal Governance and Economic Management Officer Will:
Strategy and Planning:
- Contribute towards the development of country and sector level policy and strategies for economic governance issues in RMCs in consultation with relevant government agencies and country offices.
- Engage in policy reform dialogue with Government officials and development partners on governance policy and reforms.
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on economic governance issues.
- Contribute to the preparation of Regional Integration Strategy Papers, Country Strategy Papers and Country Policy and Institutional Assessments towards ensuring Governance and economic management issues are incorporated and adequately addressed.
- Represent the Bank in its engagement with development partners on discussions relating to the macroeconomic framework of the country;
- Lead/support Bank teams in the preparation and implementation of program-based operations and institutional support projects at the country and regional levels;
- Manage an active country portfolio of project/programs, to ensure timely implementation according to agreed objectives;
- Involve all relevant stakeholders, including RMCs' governments, other development partners and concerned parties (including civil societies) or other stakeholders, in project cycle activities;
- Ensure key technical, economic, financial and crosscutting issues are incorporated into projects
Sector Economic Work and Knowledge Sharing:
- Undertake reviews, analysis and reporting of economic management initiatives of Governments, ensuring that these are considered in the design and implementation of projects and programs.
- Lead/ support the preparation of Public expenditure and financial accountability assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work on Governance and public financial management systems
- Coordinate with other development partners working in this field, and act as focal person for country level engagements in these areas
- Contribute to activities of advocacy, dissemination and knowledge building around sector issues, public financial management, tax policy, public expenditures.
- Engage in networks relevant to Governance and economic and financial management issues
- Lead project teams and supervise the work of team members
- Mentor other staff
- Supervise the work of consultants
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master Degree or its equivalent in Economics, Public administration, Governance/ Political Science, Law or related fields.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience in governance, economic management, policy formulation, revenue management, public expenditure or related areas, Strong experience and proven track record in the design and delivery of operations (including investment projects and policy based operations), as well as project management,
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, team work and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors;
- In-depth understanding of governance and economic and financial management issues
- Familiarity with operational policies and programming practices of multilateral organisations:
- Ability to apply innovative approaches, work independently and apply new methods to solve problems, while remaining efficient in a fast-paced, changing and challenging institutional environment;
- Strong interrogative skills- Anticipate needs and requests and able to conduct independent policy discussions with representatives of the government and support strategic thinking on governance and economic and financial management
- Ability to collaborate within teams and across boundaries;
- Ability to succeed in multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize work, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to lead teams, coordinate work programs and manage resources
- Sound understanding of macroeconomics, fiscal policy and public budgeting issues in developing countries and demonstrable experience relevant to the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral or multilateral organizations in Africa;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a motivated and committed team and utilize the talents and expertise of team members in a productive way to achieve set objectives;
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment;
- Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and Knowledge of SAP highly desirable.
3rd May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This advertisement is posted by the african development bank (afdb) on behalf of the african legal support facility (“alsf” or “facility”) which is the employer for this position. engagement as staff of alsf does not offer any expectation for future employment as staff in the Afdb.