Plan International is a global non-governmental organisation that focuses on child rights and equality for girls. We support young people to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, access services and lead fulfilling lives. Inclusivity is a central pillar of our work and we place a specific focus on girls and young women, especially the most vulnerable. Additionally, we strive to reach the most marginalised communities and those with disabilities, who are most often left behind. Plan believes that gender inequality and harmful social norms need to be challenged in order for girls and young women to be empowered to realise their rights. We therefore adopt an inclusive, gender transformative approach in our work.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection and Gender Expert - West Africa
- We have been implementing projects, carrying out research and influencing policy and practice for over 75 years. We are present in over 70 countries. Plan is currently carrying out research and programmes with communities, CSOs, research and implementation partners and governments to contribute to the eradication of modern day slavery and human trafficking in West Africa and in key hot spots globally.
- We are calling for Child Protection and Gender Experts for our database for a consultancy contract. We will be looking to draw-down from this database early summer 2019 for deployment on a multi-year DFID programme.
- The technical lead for child protection and gender across all components of the programme
- Providing technical support on child protection and gender to the Team Lead and consortium partners to ensure that the needs of children are well catered for throughout programme implementation
- Defining and implementing appropriate methodologies to support gender transformation and greater equity for girls and women within the context of programming to prevent human trafficking
- Defining and implementing appropriate methodologies to enable child protection to be integrated across all components and programme activities
- Supporting the monitoring, evaluation and learning team to monitor impact on issues of child protection and adjusting approaches as needed throughout the project cycle
- Developing and managing the programme’s internal child safeguarding policies and processes.
- 10 years’ experience as a Child Protection and Gender Expert working on technical assistance or international development programmes
- Proven track of involvement in successful DFID-funded projects
- Previous experience working in Nigeria and the West African region
- In-depth knowledge of the complexities of Modern Slavery and Human Trafficking, the drivers, actors and affected vulnerable groups
- Thorough understanding of the UK governments PPPP strategy in dealing with Modern Slavery
Application Closing Date
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Development or related subject
- Master’s in international development (or a related subject) with a strong emphasis on Child Protection and Gender
- Desirable experiences and qualifications
- Language skills in any of the main languages spoken in Edo State (Edo, Esan and Okpamheri)
- Previous experience working in Edo State, Nigeria
- Established contacts CSO in Edo State in Nigeria
- Established contacts with relevant, NGO's and other related stakeholders in respect to Human trafficking and Modern Slavery in Nigeria
17th April, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter to: [email protected]
Please include your salary expectations/ daily fee rate in your application