The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection Case Worker
Requisition ID: req4517
Sector: Child Protection
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The International Rescue Committee (IRC), one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women's empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home. IRC began work in Nigeria in 2012 in the north of Adamawa State in response to the flood emergency.
In the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015, there has been a considerable upsurge in violence perpetrated by Boko Haram in Borno state which has made some parts of the state inaccessible. Currently, these areas are becoming accessible as a result of military actions making it possible to reach a large number of people who have been denied access to any form of humanitarian assistance.
From the beginning of the insurgency, the host communities in MMC/Jere LGAs have been housing a large number of displaced persons from other nearby communities and local government areas of Borno State and had to share the limited available resources and amenities with them. These resources continued to dwindle as the internally displaced arrive these communities lacking the most basic services such as access to adequate shelter and simple household items; food; health care; safe drinking water and basic sanitation. In addition, the insecurity that has resulted from past has presented serious protection concerns for communities in the LGAs where children and women represent about 70% of the IDP/host community population. There is an immediate need to address the fundamental basic requirements of the IDPs and host community members.
In the Child Protection sector, the IRC has concluded arrangement to scale up its intervention in MMC/Jere LGAs.
The child protection response has a main focus on psychosocial support for children, youth and parents through the Safe Healing and Learning Spaces (SHLS), parenting groups, case management for Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC) and working with Community Based Child Protection Mechanisms on awareness raising As part of its activities, IRC will also support relevant Local Government Departments and partners.
Scope of Work
Brief description of the position’s role within the Project(s):
- The Case worker will conduct all steps of the case management process for a specified number of individual children vulnerable to abuse, exploitation, neglect and violence (especially UASC, Children at risk of other protection concerns and Children Associated with Armed Forces and Groups (CAAFAG) and their families.
- To ensure that children harmed or at risk of being harmed are identified and receive individual case management support by documentation, assessment, care plan, direct service provision, referral and follow up for an assigned number of children.
- To provide support to families (particularly foster and alternative care givers) in the process.
- To liaise with other case workers and social workers on management of caseload and referrals
Who this position reports to:
- The Case Worker reports to the Case Management Assistant.
- Provide individual case management for children in communities to be specified in relation to all case management steps, tools and procedures.
- Provide support for families, foster and alternative care systems.
- Ensure regular communication with the CP/CM manager for updates on achievements and challenges
Grant Monitoring and Reporting:
- Provide input for weekly and staff activity reports. .
Coordination & Representation:
- Effectively communicate with other caseworkers, government social workers and service providers as part of providing individual case management.
- Regularly attend case management meetings at field level
- Contribute to the development of proposal activities in relation to case management.
- Coordinate with other IRC sectors staff (e.g. WPE, Protection, Health and Livelihoods) at field level
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of field teams; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- All IRC staff is required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Uphold the IRC Child Safeguarding Policy and ensure the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse in the workplace and communities of intervention.
- A minimum qualification of Technical Diploma or Degree in Social Work of any of the Social Sciences.
- At least 1 year experience in implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well.
- Fluency in English required and in Kanuri, Hausa and Furfurde preferred
Application Closing Date
- Security level is red. The situation in MMC/Jere is currently calm
- Travel and other requirements: Frequent travel and relocation can be a requirement for this position.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online