The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Child Protection Officer
Requisition ID: req4535
Sector: Child Protection
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
- In the Child Protection sector, the IRC has concluded arrangement to scale up its intervention to Gujba LGA. The child protection response has a main focus on psychosocial support for children, youth and parents through the Safe Healing and Learning Spaces (SHLS), parenting groups, case management for Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC) and working with Community Based Child Protection Mechanisms on awareness raising. As part of its activities, IRC will also support relevant Local Government Departments and partners.
- S/he will need to coordinate with the Case workers, CP assistants and other relevant technical sectors, to ensure a rapid, proportionate and effective response.
- S/he will closely work with the child protection committee members to ensure that they are addressing child protection concerns within their respective communities.
- S/he will coordinate the monthly child protection committee meetings to ensure that they are addressing child protection concerns within their respective communities.
- Work closely with SHLS and SAFE facilitators and Make referrals of the registered children in need of care and protection
- Ensure that children are followed up and receiving proper case management.
- Ensure that cases are prepared for case discussions/ case management meetings
- In collaboration with the CP coordinator conduct trainings for the partner staff, the ministry staff and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all activities under his/her supervision are conducted so as to comply with the obligations of the IRC beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders under his/her jurisdiction, in accordance system of quality supervision, including the CPiE minimum standard and SPHERE standards
Program implementation and development:
- Identify gaps in service provision to children identified and documented, with a special attention to UASC and proactively referring and advocate for those gaps to relevant in coordination with the CP Manager
- Together with the case workers, ensure vulnerability of the identified and registered children are responded to involvement of the community where appropriate ensuring the best interest of the child.
- Establish/maintain a regular system of project evaluation and progress monitoring, using both qualitative and quantitative indicators, data collection, feeding into program adjustments and regular reporting as well as advocacy and new programme development
- Coordinate with the CP sub sector (Coordination at the field level) in order to assure that adequate and children centered solutions are taken in consideration in the strategic planning of activities
- Ensure the cases that are identified and registered are captured correctly and shared with the M&E officer.
- All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
- Uphold the IRC Child Safeguarding Policy and ensure the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse in the workplace and communities of intervention.
Application Closing Date
- Technical diploma or degree in Social Work, Human Rights, or related degree preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience of implementing child protection programs, preferable social work or case management, in humanitarian or development settings
- Demonstrated understanding of working with children and particularly vulnerable children
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well and work in cross-cultural setting.
- Fluency in English and/or (other languages) preferred or required
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online