African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Finance & Administrative Assistant
Position N°: 50070015
The Hiring Departement/ Country Office
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- The Vice‑Presidency for Regional Development will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Hubs, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Hub is headed by a Director General (DG) and is provided with the relevant sector functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- Regional Hubs provide country offices in their regions with strategic direction and are responsible for operations, business development, project management and the overall effective implementation of the Bank's High 5s, namely: "Light up and Power Africa," "Feed Africa," "Industrialize Africa," "Integrate Africa" and "Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa."
- Country Offices of the African Development Bank have been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank , Governments and other stakeholders; improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the overall supervision of the Country Manager, the Administrative and Finance Assistant will undertake to implement administrative services including accounting and budgeting, human resources activities and supervision of use of office facilities and resources.
- The incumbent will carry out effective recording, control and management of Bank resources, the Office’s operational activities in keeping with the Bank’s policies and guidelines. Other specific duties and responsibilities.
The Administrative and Finance Assistant is responsible for the following activities and related services:
Budget preparation and implementation:
- Participate in drawing up the administrative budget of the Bank’s Office following the schedule set by the Budget Department while taking into account the particular investment needs of the Office.
- Ensure recording, up-dating and monitoring expenditure in accordance with the Bank’s internal control rules and procedures.
- Report periodically on the status of budget implementation and propose possible revisions.
- Establishing procedures and controls to improve efficiency of service and identify cost savings and promote efficient use of Bank resources.
- Advise the management on methods to improve control environment in the Country Office.
Finance and Accounting:
- Ensure timely payments of all bills for COCM in line with established financial procedures and regulations.
- Ensuring proper documentation of payment vouchers and all other supporting documents.
- Process for payment and maintain individual staff mission expenditure; advances and balances.
- Keep and maintain daily updates of all the required Country Office books of accounts, records, inventory and files in order, and all financial transactions captured and entered in SAP.
- Produce for review and final approval of the Resident Representative, all the Office monthly financial and budget execution reports.
- Undertake timely preparation and verification of reports, statements and schedules for auditing of the Country Office activities.
Human Resources Management:
- Keep all staff records/files up-dated.
- Up-date and submit monthly reports on personnel management.
- Manage office staff benefits in accordance with the Human Resources policy and instructions in force.
General Administration: institutional procurement of goods and services and Management of property and equipment:
- Undertake procurement of goods and services in keeping with the Bank’ rules and procedures.
- Manage the preparation and monitoring of service providers’ contracts.
- Keep stock of office supplies and inventory of Bank property and equipment.
- Management of office vehicles in accordance with the bank’s transport policy and instructions in force.
- Ensure the quality of Bank facilities in Cameroon, including workspaces, property and equipment as well as service provision relating to the upkeep, maintenance and security of facilities according to Bank standards.
- Organize, supervise and monitor the activities of administrative staff and ensure appropriate training for the latter in order to obtain quality services.
- Ensure all administrative documents necessary for the proper functioning of the office and staff are obtained from the relevant authorities.
- Proper management and control of office stores and petty cash.
- Ensure administrative support to all the Country Office staff and Bank’s visiting mission as required.
- Ensure that proper filing is undertaken in the Country Office;
- Ensure that proper control mechanism and segregation of duties are in place, and that Bank procedures are fully implemented.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, and/or Finance;
- Membership to an internationally recognized professional accounting body (e.g. CA, CPA, and ACCA) will be considered as an added advantage.
- At least Six (6) years of relevant work experience. Experience in a similar post in a multilateral organization will be considered an advantage.
- Knowledge and experience in administrative; financial accounting and full range of office support work, with a high level of sustained performance.
- Thorough knowledge and use of all relevant computer software and the ability to help organize data and information retrieval systems.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (SAP, Word, Excel, Access, MS Projects and PowerPoint).
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
8th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).