African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Energy Officer
Position N°: 50078489
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs, and activities.
- This ensures that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Member Countries and oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa:
- North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s of ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- The position is situated in Tanzania, in the Eastern Africa Regional Development and Business Delivery directorate.
Duties and responsibilities
- The Senior Energy Officer is responsible for the origination of energy projects and programs, processing of Bank financing, supervision of implementation and general portfolio management of energy sector projects. In this work, the incumbent interacts closely with other staff members in the following complexes; Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization; Agriculture, Human and Social Development; and Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth. The incumbent is directly involved in the development cycle from identification of opportunities in line with the High 5s to their approval by the Bank’s Boards of Directors. As part of the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the incumbent contributes to the delivery of the ‘Power and Light Up Africa’, ‘Integrate Africa’, ‘Improve the Quality of Life of the People of Africa’ and the ‘Industrialize Africa’ Strategies.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Sector Manager (RDGE1), the Senior Energy Officer will perform the following:
Business Development and Pipeline Management:
- Provide support to the Regional Member Countries (RMC) and bank teams in the origination, preparation, structuring and implementation of complex and innovative energy projects.
- Work with Region/Hub-based staff and relevant governance/risk/compliance units, in the process of identification, preparation and execution of Sovereign (SO) and Non-Sovereign (NSO) operations, as well as in conducting policy/result-based financing operations and technical assistance related to the above topics;
- Contribute to solving issues related to energy sector development including advice to RMCs for promoting policies conducive to strong growth/development of the energy sector as well as other areas of activity of the Division (e.g. creation of an enabling environment for private sector investments in energy projects, corporate governance);
- Review the various proposals and communications sent to the Bank by its partners, clients and RMCs; and take appropriate action, including issuing of technical opinion on government submissions to the Bank, drafting of responses and/or reports/presentations as well as making internal or external follow-ups;
- Provide the required technical skills to design national and multinational projects that respond to the needs of the RMCs and regional economic communities based on their priorities and selectivity;
- Liaise with other development partners in order to identify opportunities for co-financing and other partnerships;
- Provide inputs for the power sector into the Bank’s pipeline of projects;
- Provide sector expertise for quality assurance in the preparation of terms of reference (TORs), requests for proposals (RFPs), tender documents to procure goods and/or services in line with the Bank’s procurement rules: e.g. recruitment and supervision of expert advisors (and Bank staff) regarding execution of socio-techno-economic (pre-) - feasibility studies and utility performance diagnostics;
- Task-manage the Bank’s energy sector projects in Tanzania and carry out all regular portfolio management activities, including interaction with Project Management Units (PMUs) or Project Implementation Units (PIU) to guide, monitor and follow-up on implementation issues, review of quarterly progress reports and requests for extension of contracts or Last Disbursement Dates (LDD); Supervise all procurement and disbursement activities related to the Bank’s energy sector projects in Tanzania. This includes, inter alia, review of bidding documents, bid evaluation reports, complaints from bidders, etc.;
- Undertake the supervision of the Bank’s portfolio of power sector investments, review of relevant monitoring & evaluation reports, and field inspections as necessary; and proffer measures for resolving material operational weaknesses. This includes inter alia, providing practical solutions to ensure the portfolio complies with Bank’s directives and guidelines;
- Ensure timely procurement and disbursement of active power and energy projects in the Bank’s portfolio, liaising with government departments and project implementation units to address blockages in project execution, using the Bank Portfolio Dashboard as main monitoring tool.
Knowledge Production and Coordination:
- Contribute to the preparation of energy sector assessments and other upstream analytical and diagnostic work to inform Country Strategy Papers (CSP); provide support to country/regional departments on policy dialogue with RMCs relating to energy sector and related issues; and provide back-up to country offices to ensure provision of quality advisory service to RMCs;
- Contribute to the preparation of policy statements, papers, briefs and various reports on energy sector issues and other areas relevant to the Energy, Environment & Climate Change Department;
- Represent the Bank in national and regional partnerships, networks, conferences, workshops, and training seminars on issues related to energy sector development and related issues;
- Undertake any other tasks as may be assigned by the Manager
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or Electromechanical Engineering. Additional training in management and/or energy economics is an asset.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the energy sector operations including, infrastructure development, power utility operations and management, and power sector planning and service delivery.
- Ability to demonstrate a broad range of previous responsibilities and analytical skills within the industry in several of the following areas: power sector strategy formulation; financing of energy projects; management and operation of power generation, transmission and distribution utilities; electrical system planning and design, including conducting energy demand and supply balance; assessment of renewable energy resources; preparation of bidding documents; project management; contract administration; costing of infrastructure projects; monitoring and supervision of transmission and distribution infrastructure, and provision of electrical services. Knowledge and understanding of project financing/ financial and economic appraisal would offer an advantage.
- Experience in implementing projects with public sector institutions and/or bilateral and multilateral development finance institutions will give an added advantage for this position.
- Proven ability to interact competently with the staff of government and donor agencies as well as with the private sector on issues relating to energy sector governance and aid coordination.
- Good listener with demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas as well as make effective and timely decisions; capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change.
- Strong team spirit and proven ability to work with people of diverse cultural backgrounds often based in different geographical locations.
- A self-starter, with an ability to work with relatively little supervision or guidance and deliver agreed results;
- Familiarity with project management and project identification procedures in Development Finance Institutions, multilateral organizations, including the African Development Bank, is an added advantage.
- Good command of standard software (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite for word processing, spreadsheets, databases and presentations).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Good working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
11th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment)
- Only applicants who are nationals of Tanzania or are nationals of member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in Tanzania will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post