The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nurse/Midwife
Requisition ID: req4555
: Monguno, Borno
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
- The Nurse is responsible for patient care at the mobile clinics and overseeing community health activities for the population in the catchment area of IRC mobile clinics in MMC, Jere, Borno State. The Nurse reports to the team leader.
- Will support reproductive health activities (ante-natal care, family planning, post-natal care, and emergency delivery)
- Act as the link between Health facilities/mobile clinics and the community to ensure awareness of available services, proper follow-up of patients and defaulter tracing.
- Develop and conduct training of community volunteers on pillars of safe motherhood, infant and young child feeding practices, general child care and hygiene promotion.
- Provide health and nutrition messaging in the communities, in collaboration with community volunteers.
- Conduct regular meetings with the CVs, for sharing information, discussing relevant health issues and weekly activity plans for health messaging in the communities.
- Ensure health basic protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities and outreach sites.
- Ensure mobile clinic sites are clean and well maintained.
- Establish effective referral mechanism between the mobile clinic and the hospital/IPD.
Key Working Relationships:
- Collect weekly activity reports from the CVs, review, discuss and submit to the team leader
- Supervise and monitor CVs in the community.
- Assist the Medical doctor in patient care at the Health facilities and mobile clinics
- Jointly with the team, provide ongoing education for clinic staff and CVs.
- Maintain an updated record and compile and submit monthly reports of all services given.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of health and program supplies.
- Prepare weekly workplans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities.
Communication and Reporting:
- Support Health Clinical Officer in compiling statistical reports from the mobile clinics for submission weekly, monthly and annually.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly maternal mortality ratio, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition and hygiene.
- Timely and quality health care services to displaced persons, refugees and other vulnerable groups.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
- Registered nurse and/or Midwife
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Must possess the practicing license or qualifying certificate.
- Certificate in reproductive health or nutrition is an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
- Two to three years’ experience in clinical medicine or public health.
- Proven experience in community based programming with the ability to motivate and lead community volunteers.
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience in working in a team.
- Flexible to travel and work in different locations.
- Ability to speak local languages will be added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel is an added advantage.
24th April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Standards for Professional Conduct:
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.