The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Mining Development
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Energy & Mines
Directorate: Energy & Mines
Division: Mining Development & Geological Resources
Line Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer, Mining Development & Geological Resources
Role And Responsibilities
- The Programme Officer Mining Development shall be based at the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja.
- He/She shall work in the Directorate of Energy and Mines under the direct supervision of the Principal Programme Officer Mining Development & Geological Resources.
- He/She shall assist to design and execute programmes and activities towards optimization of benefits from extraction of geological resources in the Community, under the coordination of the Principal Programme Officer.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Assist in developing and harmonizing policies, regulations and institutional frameworks for the development of the mining sector;
- Assist in the identification, designing and execution of programmes/projects and all other relevant activities in the extraction of geological resources;
- Liaise with related stakeholder-groups to promote the design and execution of other specialized programmes/projects to enhance the development of the geo-extractives sector in the Community;
- Assist the Principal Programmes Officer to promote the design and implementation by Member States of policy options that will encourage all stakeholder institutions and operating entities adopt relevant quality standards to enhance the competitiveness of the geo-extractives sector;
- Collate data/information on national, regional, and global issues on mining sector to inform strategic decisions towards realizing optimal benefits for the Community;
- Develop and periodically update a database of relevant Community-origin and non-Community-origin Experts and Institutions, Operating Entities, Suppliers and other key stakeholders in the geo-extractives sector;
- Promote activities that generally will enhance the realization of optimal benefits along the entire value chains of the Community’s geological resources;
- Participate in preparation of periodic Reports of the Directorate;
- Participate in the preparation of Budgets and Monitoring & Evaluation Activities;
- Participate in specialized technical meetings and conferences;
- Assist the Supervisor to create a conducive working ambience;
- Carry-out any other legitimate task as may be assigned by his/her Supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Mining Engineering, Geological Sciences, Geological Engineering or a similar field from a university of recognized standing;
- 5 years’ professional experience in the field of Geological Sciences and Engineering, Geological resources, Mining development in the public or private Institution.
- 5 years’ progressively professional experience in the field of mining development, geological resources in the public or private Institution;
- Good knowledge and experience in the planning, preparation and coordination of mining/geological programs and projects at national and/or regional levels;
- Technical expertise in mining/geological policy, strategy and institutions.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards.
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards.
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means, ;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
Annual Salary: UA 49,106.81 USD 77480.72 / UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87
Application Closing Date
16th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information