The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Interpreter (English)
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: General Administration And Conference
Directorate: Conference And Protocol
Line Supervisor: Language Coordinator
Role And Responsibilities
- The incumbent shall, in accordance with professional standards, provide interpretation services for meetings and events of the Commission, ensuring high linguistic and terminological quality and application of ECOWAS jargon.
- She/he shall facilitate the setting-up and updating of terminology database and compilation of glossaries.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Services all meetings as assigned by Language Coordinator and Management; Provides interpretation in relevant language combination, (simultaneous, consecutive, whispering, liaison) of speeches or statements;
- Routinely assigned to sensitive meetings;
- Language Combination: English A, French C, or Portuguese C. (Any proven B language in either of the other two working languages of the Community will be an advantage);
- Functions as language team leader when assigned to a given meeting;
- Assists the Head of Language Division, as appropriate, in the screening, training and conduct of examination for prospective interpreters;
- Participates in establishment of terminology database, compilation of glossaries, etc…;
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Masters or Bachelor’s degree in Conference Interpretation from a recognized university or institute;
- 10 years of experience in Interpretation (four of which should have been as a staff Interpreter);
- Exhibits highest standards of split-second accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the style and nuances of the original and source languages;
- Demonstrated understating of how to “weigh” Interpretation teams;
- Ability to maintain highest standard of confidentiality;
- Knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with ability to use wide variety of information;
- Demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally and keep abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
- Demonstrated comprehension of every imaginable accent, in addition to coping with issues of speed and style;
- Ability to find proper cultural equivalents and take cultural context into account, thorough knowledge of both language and culture is thus required;
- Demonstrated capacity to uphold team coherence and booth manners;
- A perfect command of the target language and an excellent knowledge of the source language. Good knowledge of the third language of ECOWAS is an advantage.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example organize teamwork to encourage cooperation in order to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs/projects that will best serve the community/organization;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success;
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/ communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias;
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance;
- Ability to analyze a situation by using indicators to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective;
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Annual Salary: UA 66,123.98 USD 104,330.42
Application Closing Date
16th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information