The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer - Promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-Learning
Division: Scientific Research & Innovation
Department: Education, Science and Culture
Directorate: Education, Science and Culture
Line Supervisor: PPO Scientific Research & Innovation
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Supervising: JD_Eng_PO Ex Sc et Elearning DRSI final ok
Role and Responsibilities
- The Programme Officer - Promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-learning reports to the Scientific Research and Innovation Division for all tasks relating to the promotion of Scientific Excellence and E-learning.
- S/he is tasked with contributing to the development of strategies and policies for a culture of excellence and e-learning and monitoring the implementation of the resulting action plans.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Implement the African Research and Innovation Forum (FARI) as a platform to showcase the outcomes of research and technological discoveries by researchers in the ECOWAS region and beyond and open new opportunities for partnership between research and innovation stakeholders and the private sector;
- Implement the African Research and Innovation Programme (PARI), designed to fund research on a competitive basis by calling for applications for research projects that contribute to the fight against poverty; promote the mobility of researchers and equip research laboratories in the ECOWAS region.
- Implement the programme for the development of ECOWAS centres and poles of excellence in strategic development areas and ensure their monitoring and evaluation;
- Implement programmes in ethics and bioethics of science and technology;
- Implement the programmes in support of the ECOWAS Prize for Excellence in Science and the African and International Awards for Scientific Excellence;
- Develop programmes on the dissemination of research results through publication or support for scientific journals;
- Develop strategies and programmes to encourage young people and women to pursue scientific careers;
- Promote the dissemination of books, newspapers and science and technology magazines;
- Facilitate capacity building sessions and meetings in the relevant areas of expertise;
- Implement the action plan of the Regional Policy on E-learning and ensure its monitoring and evaluation;
- Develop e-learning training modules and course materials in the professions and areas of expertise of all socio-economic sectors in the region.
- Develop programmes for the promotion of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the ECOWAS region;
- Encourage the culture of e-learning as a means of developing skills in public and private sector services (tourism, health, agriculture, finance, communication, transport, trade, energy, etc.), professional development and upgrading of the working-age population in ECOWAS Member States, etc;
- Develop innovative approaches to make initiatives related to Excellence in Science and Research and E-Learning more visible;
- Improve the use of modern technology, in particular to broaden access to the educational system through ICTs.
- Document reports and databases related to his/her area of expertise;
- Plan and budget activities related to the programme;
- Identify additional sources of funding and potential partners for the implementation of projects related to the programme;
- Effectively and efficiently organise the activities related to his/her programme;
- Prepare reports for the attention of his/her immediate supervisor;
- Develop cooperation with partners and Member States;
- Advise the Head of Division on how to improve the implementation of programmes and activities;
- Review all documents related to the Promotion of Excellence and E-Learning before publication.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Technology and Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities, Engineering Technology or a related field from a recognised university.
Ecowas Key Competencies
- 5 years of professional experience including relevant international work;
- Solid knowledge of ECOWAS policy on scientific research and innovation,
- Good knowledge of international or regional organisations working in science and innovation.
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to proactively interact and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect, credibility and professionalism clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigate issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards.
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies
- Knowledge of ECOWAS internal operational requirements of programs, projects, services and systems required to achieve work assignments and meet performance goals;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures of ECOWAS associated assigned responsibilities and ability to explain these clearly to others;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS culture, structures and performance issues and priorities impacting assigned responsibilities;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees;
- Ability to break down problems or processes into key parts to identify and solve gaps in service, quality assurance, compliance and performance targets;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply techniques to generate creative ideas and new approaches to meeting goals.
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to make sound use of graphics and tables to effectively present numerical data to write semi-complex technical reports/proposals and edit/check templates, letters, etc.
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- Exhibit interpersonal skills, make presentations, express opinions and debate ideas with others in a constructive manner;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies (ICT)
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks.
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Identify, organize and monitor tasks throughout to facilitate execution;
- Ability to contribute and/or lead on projects as per accepted project management standards and techniques, to co-ordinate contributions by others to set and meet deadlines;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
(UA 49,106.81 USD 77,480.72) / (UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87)
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information