The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Officer, Energy Access
Ref Id: ECW/HR/25031907
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Energy and Mines
Directorate: Energy and Mines
Division: Energy Access and Alternative Energy
Line Supervisor: Principal Programme Officer, Energy Access and Alternative Energy
Role and Responsibilities
- The Programme Officer Energy Access shall be based at the ECOWAS Commission in Abuja.
- He/She shall work in the Directorate of Energy and Mines under the direct supervision of Principal Programme Officer Energy Access and Alternative Energy.
- He/She shall be responsible for the implementation of all the activities related to sustainable, reliable and affordable access to modern energy services, under the coordination of the Principal Programme Officer.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Assist in developing and harmonizing policies, regulations and institutional frameworks related to the improvement of energy access in the region;
- Assist in the Implementation of the ECOWAS rural and peri-urban electrification Master plan and set up a regional capacity to implement its action plan;
- Initiate the development of pilot investment programs for scaling-up access to productive use of energy and modern energy services particularly in rural areas;
- Establish a coordination mechanism with the National and Regional Multi-sectoral groups on access to Energy Services;
- Assist Member States to define national Energy Access strategies and policies and ensures regional/national synergies ;
- Coordinate the technical development of the Regional Capacity Building Program for investment and programs implementation in energy access;
- Coordinate the technical development of regional financing mechanisms to support Member States in raising funds for their national energy access programs;
- Closely coordinates ECOWAS work with its various partners on the Energy Access Program, and work to expand relevant partnerships;
- Contribute to the elaboration of programs to support the development and reconstruction of the energy sectors of post conflict ECOWAS Member States;
- Increase synergy with the ECOWAS Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Centre for the regional programs related to energy access at national and regional levels;
- Develop and strengthen the cooperation with regional and sub-regional bodies with the international organization on energy access (AUC, UN SE4ALL, Power Africa etc.);
- Represent ECOWAS Commission at the International meeting on energy access;
- Initiate projects and prepares project documents on any relevant issues related to energy access, monitors and evaluates projects implementation.
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Renewable Energy, Alternative Energy, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Engineering or a similar field from a university of recognized standing;
- 5 years’ progressively professional experience in the field of renewable energy promotion and development, access to energy services, energy efficiency, energy economics and bioenergy in the public or private Institution;
- Good knowledge and experience in the planning, preparation and coordination of energy programs and projects at national and/or regional levels;
- Technical expertise in energy policy, strategy and institutions.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to persuade/influence others to consider a certain point of view, adopt a new idea or implement new methods and practices;
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Contribute to maintaining organizational unit’s performance goals and standards;
- Interpersonal skills with ability to keep a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects of relevance to timeline, quality and quantity;
- Ability to counsel, advise, consult and guide others on matters pertaining to assigned client service responsibilities and established client service standards.
Multicultural Sensitivity and Advocacy:
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Ability to listen actively, consider people’s concerns and apply judgement, tact and diplomacy;
- Ability to work in a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths;
- Ability to encourage, empower, and advocate for people in an unbias and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies;
- Knowledge of member states development trends, indicators, challenges and opportunities as it relates to project/programme assigned to own position.
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, identify anomalies, trends and issues, present findings, and make recommendations;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees;
- Demonstrate operational computer proficiency using appropriate tools;
- Ability to convey information clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner through both writing and verbal means;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage;
- Ability to develop, implement an individual action plan for achieving specific work goals;
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks;
- Ability to identify, collect and assess indicators to monitor performance and to take proactive remedial action as required.
Annual Salary: UA 49,106.81 USD 77480.72 / UA 56,591.37 USD 89,289.87
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information