The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Election Management Officer
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Departement: Political Affairs, Peace And Security
Directorate: Political Affairs
Division: Electoral Assistance
Line Supervisor: Head, Electoral Assistance
Supervising: Director, Political Affairs
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Electoral Assistance Division, the Election Management Officer’s main tasks and responsibilities will be to:
Role and Responsibilities
- Support the Head of Division in implementing the ECOWAS Vision for the Division, coordinating the activities of the Electoral Assistance Division, in line with the provisions of ECOWAS existent Protocols and Decisions, in particular, the 1999 Mechanism for Conflict Prevention, Management, Peacekeeping and Regional Security, the Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance and the 2008 ECOWAS Conflict Prevention Framework.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Participate in discussions and formulation of political and technical strategies in electoral fields;
- Coordinate ECOWAS Electoral Assistance packages and support to Member States organizing elections;
- Prepare ECOWAS pre and post-election engagements with Member States;
- Ensure regular contact with National Electoral Commissions through the ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions;
- Drafting of Mission budget taking into account different scenarios;
- Plan together with the Head of Division the logistics of all fields related missions;
- Supervise and maintain regular update of the ECOWAS Observers Database;
- Organize a comprehensive approach taking into account different criteria for selection of ECOWAS Observers and Experts to be deployed in the field;
- Ensure that Gender is taking into account in the selection of Heads of Mission, heads of pre-election fact-finding missions and deployment of Long and Short term observers ;
- Advise the Head of Division in search of financial support for ECOWAS electoral activities;
- Organize regular meetings of the Electoral Commissions in the region to discuss issues around elections , sharing of experiences and lessons learnt;
- Initiate and follow up on activities and programme with civil society organizations;
- Collate and analyze information and data on ECOWAS election monitoring reports;
- Prepare policy papers and talking points for senior ECOWAS officials as required;
- Meets regularly with counterpart in the department of political affairs to plan electoral projects and review activities;
- Provides substantives input for the formulation of operational plan of electoral field presence;
- Manage or supervise electoral projects being implemented in Member States;
- Carry out with the Head of Unit, administrative functions relating to the staffing, planning and budget of electoral operations, including selection of staff assigned to electoral missions;
- Carrying out any other duty as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Social Science, Economics, Law, Public Administration, or a related field from a recognized University.
- 5 years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, governance, diplomacy, conflict resolution, security or related field;
- Understanding of political, governance and security dynamics, conflict prevention management and resolution;
- Technical competence to conduct information gathering, research and analysis with modern technology.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead a team of trainees/junior staff and instill a spirit of teamwork to engage employees and achieve a well-defined set of activities;
- Ability to resolve challenges that occur with minimal direction and/or to recommend and explain solutions or alternatives for approval;
- Ability to proactively interact with clients and build strong trusting relationships based on mutual respect and regular discussions;
- Ability to establish and sustain professional credibility with clients/stakeholders in a manner that anticipates their need, mitigates issues and that carefully balances professional obligations with the need to be sensitive and responsive to their needs;
- Demonstrate respect for cultural differences, fairness and ability to relate well with people from varied backgrounds, nationality, gender, ethnicity, race and religion;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, with sensitivity to group differences; ability to challenge bias and to practice tolerance and empathy;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS institutions, sectors, programmes and policies
- Ability to study data/information from a variety of sources, present findings and make recommendations;
- Ability to use evidence and research to inform policies and programs and identify relevant and appropriate sources of information, including stakeholders, regional institutions and/or internal committees;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner.
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, and work within timelines, giving attention to details, stakeholders, indicators and risks.
Application Closing Date
- (UA 49,106.81/USD 77,480.72) / (UA 56,591.37/USD 89,289.87).
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information