The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Programme Officer, Domestic Taxes
Institution: ECOWAS Commission
Department: Trade, Customs and Free Movement
Directorate: Customs Union and Taxation
Division: Domestic Taxation
Line Supervisor: Director, Customs Union & Taxation
Supervising: Programme Officer, Fiscal Transition & Direct Tax, Programme Officer, Indirect Tax & Tax Policy
Role and Responsibilities
- Contribute to the harmonization of domestic tax laws and procedures within the Community in compliance with ECOWAS Directives and relevant laws of Member States, and ensure the effective implementation of the ECOWAS Fiscal Transition Programme.
Under the authority of the Director of Customs Union and Taxation, contribute to the consolidation of the ECOWAS Customs union. Specifically:
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Work towards the adoption of ECOWAS Directives on VAT and Excise Duty harmonization and their implementation in Member States
- Work towards the effective implementation and monitoring of the ECOWAS Fiscal Transition Programme
- Work towards the simplification and harmonization of personal and corporate Income tax procedures in the region
- Work towards the implementation of the Community rules for the elimination of double taxation on income, capital and inheritance and the prevention of tax evasion and avoidance in the region.
- Undertake activities within the region to support tax reform measures for positive and effective domestic revenue mobilization.
- Carry out activities aimed at modernizing tax administrations and building their capacities
- Contribute significantly to work on the networking and sharing of information among the tax administrations of Member States and relevant stakeholders.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Director.
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in the Social Sciences, Business, Administration, International Relations, International Diplomacy, Public Administration, Sociology, History, Law Or Political Science from recognized university;
- Have worked in a Tax administration or in taxation for at least 10 years at progressively senior level;
- Understand issues relating to regional economic integration
- Have attended courses (local and international) in Tax matters.
- Have a clear understanding of the role of taxation in the facilitation of international trade;
- Demonstrated knowledge of international and ECOWAS regional rules and regulations relating to tax policy.
- Be conversant with the functions and activities of regional and International tax bodies like ATAF and WATAF in shaping ECOWAS Tax Administrations.
ECOWAS key Competencies
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement;
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Ability to lead by example and organize teamwork to encourage cooperation to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Diplomacy, tact and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within west Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage.
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to plan, organize, control resources, and to comply with policies, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
Annual Salary: UA 66,123.98 / USD 104,330.42
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information