The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director of Planning and Health Information
Ref Id: ECW/HR/25031913
Bobo Dioulasso/Burkina Faso
Institution: West African Health Organization (WAHO)
Directorate: Planning and Health Information
Line Supervisor: Director General
Supervisor: PPO - Health Information, PPO - Planning and Resources Utilization
Role And Responsibilities
- S/he shall provide leadership and management to major sector(s) of technical activities which are substantively important to the accomplishment of the Institution’s mandate.
- Responsible for interpreting governing bodies’, the President’s and the Commissioner’s broad visions and policy guidelines, and for developing and managing goals and objectives to meet that mandate.
Academic Qualifications And Experience
- Coordinate the development of the Organisation’s Strategic, Thematic and Annual Plans;
- Coordinate the implementation of the Organisation’s Strategic Plan;
- Communicate clearly the Institution’s vision to staff;
- Plan annual goals, objectives, activities and budget tied to the Institution’s overall plans; measure and monitor goal achievement; negotiate suitable adjustments to goals and budgets;
- Implement performance-based budgeting within the Directorate;
- Oversee the system of setting individual performance planning and standards through available Performance Planning and Evaluation systems;
- Coordinate the development and implementation of health financing strategies (Health Accounts, Universal Health Coverage, etc.);
- Support member countries in their health sector planning and reform exercises;
- Coordinate the development of the Organisation’s projects and programmes;
- Coordinate the preparation of the Organisation’s periodic activity reports;
- Coordinate health cooperation with member states, other Community Institutions, Partners and regional and international organisations;
- Coordinate the Organisation’s health research and information activities;
- Perform any other duty as assigned by the supervisor.
- Master's degree (or equivalent) in Health Economics, Health Information/Statistics or other field (s) of equal relevance to international development assistance from a recognized university;
- 12 years professional experience in planning and health information including at least 6 years relevant international work and 5 years at a supervisory level;
- Be acquainted with ECOWAS health policies and issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of public information approaches and tools, including social media and computer literacy and experience working with partner institutions ;
- Proven ability to provide sound editorial judgment, including on politically sensitive issues on health and to make decisions with an eye on the impact to stakeholders and intended results.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
Ecowas Key Competencies:
- Ability to provide leadership, management, and technical oversight for all project activities and program deliverables in accordance with ECOWAS legal and administrative practices and standards;
- Ability to conduct periodic reviews of staff performance in keeping with the ECOWAS performance management system and to mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork;
- Ability to oversee project management, internal controls and stewardship of financial resources and to address issues in a confident and capable manner whilst making decisions that exemplifies impartial and non-partisan decision-making.
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social state/trends of member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Exhibit consistency on actions, values, methods, confidentiality, ethics, measures, principles, expectations and outcomes which connotes a deep commitment to do the right thing for the right reason, regardless of the circumstances;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Heads of Institutions, elected officials and statutory employees to facilitate compliance, build engagement, resolve conflicts and obtain support for change;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Ability to exercise the initiative and resourcefulness necessary for simultaneously addressing a variety of stakeholder needs, pursuing multiple tasks and achieving positive outcomes;
- Ability to create synergies with client groups and others to achieve objectives in setting and monitoring service standards and indicators;
- Ability to motivate and engage others in promoting or adopting best practices in client services ;
- Ability to identify and improve services and client interactions through appropriate networks and to create innovative ways of addressing these in an accountable and transparent manner.
- Knowledge of anti-discriminatory/human rights regulatory environment and ability to advance strategies to foster an inclusive working environment and healthy organization respectful of cultural diversity and gender equality and free from harassment and discrimination;
- Understanding of diverse cultural views especially within West Africa, being sensitive to group differences, gender issues and ability to contribute to, advocate for, and/or develop policies which are gender sensitive and responsive to various cultures;
- Ability to foster a diverse and inclusive interactive work environment that can effectively bring together a wide spectrum of ideas and experiences to solve problems, develop projects/programs and improve results;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences.
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, workplace culture and dynamics;
- Ability to apply knowledge of ECOWAS legal framework, strategic priorities and operational standards to develop/modernize policies and programs and/or to implement policies and programs in a sustainable and effective manner;
- Well-developed business, social and political acumen, demonstrating a strong commitment to the vision and mandate of ECOWAS coupled with a broad knowledge of the economic, political and social situations and trends in member states;
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills on matters relating to policy and strategy development important to the realization of the ECOWAS mandate and the improvement of outcomes for member states.
- Ability to analyze reports as well as socio-economic and institutional dynamics and recognize areas of potential obstacles or challenges and develop innovative solutions or alternatives to address barriers and achieve strategic/operational priorities;
- Ability to anticipate and interpret the effects of environmental changes (social, economic and political),and its impact and make recommendations;
- Ability to identify/address strengths and weaknesses, stimulate creativity, reduce resistance to change and improve the achievement of strategic objectives;
- Ability to make prudent decisions relating to the management of human, financial and material resources.
- Ability to actively listen and understand perspectives of others to make informed assertions, decisions or recommendations;
- Ability to communicate with clarity and conviction, make compelling presentations which promotes new insights, ideas and perspectives and a better understanding of issues and challenges;
- Excellent negotiation and conflict management skills focusing on building and nurturing effective and collaborative relationships;
- Computer literate and proficiency in information communication technologies(ICT);
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an advantage.
- Ability to prepare plans, set clear objectives in a consistent manner and have effective oversight of performance management practices to ensure that goals and standards are met;
- Ability to set effective goals/results and manage change in a manner that demonstrates resilience, composure and a positive outlook in an environment of uncertainty and ambiguity;
- Ability to implement plans, mobilize/engage people, identify critical success factors, mitigate risks, monitor indicators and feedback, initiate corrective measure and build capacities for sustainability;
- Ability to institute rigorous monitoring and evaluation practices and to learn from setbacks and mistakes to ensure continuous improvement.
Annual Salary: UA 64,032.75 USD 101,030.87
Application Closing Date
17th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
Click Here for More Information