Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: WASH Sector Manager
Job type: Full time
Start date: as soon as possible
Direct Line Manager: Area Project Manager
Tasks and Responsibilities
Objective 1 - Ensure technical implementation of integrated ACF - WASH programs in Yobe State:
- Ensure appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hardware according to technical standards, as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment
- Implements, in the framework of projects, the mission’s WASH strategy taking into account the key internal and external documents: ACF charter, 2018 strategic framework, policies (WASH and other ACF sectors), positioning papers (WASH and transversal), national strategies and other specific legal framework enforced by the body/department in charge of WASH issues.
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training
- Ensure contractual activities are completed on time, within budget and with acceptable quality
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues relating to the management of the program, and inform the hierarchy accordingly
- Ensure post-implementation monitoring of ACF WASH structures
- Plan and manage emergency responses; and priorities activities according to humanitarian needs.
Objective 2 - To develop ACF understanding of WASH issues in Northern Nigeria:
- Ensure that all data and information is updated, well organized and easily accessible; and that lessons learnt and best practice are capitalized
- Analyze and report on the evolving humanitarian needs and provide clear recommendations for interventions
- Carry out needs assessments
- Participate in the definition of the WASH strategy for ACF as well as identification and design of potential new intervention areas.
Objective 3 - Supervision of the WASH program staff: induction, follow up, evaluation, and responsibilities promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation:
- Supervision of WASH technical staff carrying out activities in Yobe
- Recruitment and training of WASH staff as needs arise.
- Overseeing the work of WASH program staff in order to ensure good compliance of activities within the objectives of the mission and of proposals - this includes regular visits to the field sites in order to evaluate achievements; to discuss the constraints encountered, the possible solutions and to make recommendations for current and future programs
- Evaluation of WASH program staff as per the defined schedule
- Capacity building of WASH staff and mentoring of WASH program officers
Objective 4 - To actively participate in external coordination within the WASH sector at the county and state level, as well as national level as required:
- Participate in WASH Coordination meeting held at LGA and state levels
- Develop WASH contacts with other NGOs, agencies and technical bodies
- Assess feasibility of ACF technical support and guidance to partner agencies and relevant governmental bodies, specifically the RUWASA
- Support capacity building of ACF WASH partners in the area of intervention
- Participate in emergency WASH interventions in Ni geria as required Support WASH coordination efforts outside of Yobe as required.
Objective 5 - To coordinate within the ACF team:
- Collaborate and communicate with Technical and Support Coordinators, Program Managers, CD, and any other ACF resource people in order to ensure the coherence of activities and reports in terms of ACF WASH strategy.
- Informing/updating the FieldCo and CD on WASH program implementation and any issues on a regular basis
- Participation in weekly base team meetings and any other general team or strategy meetings
- Follow up of WASH program budgets in liaison with the Admin coordinator and program managers, to ensure budget expenditure is in line with program objectives and timeline.
- Follow up of logistics requirements for WASH Programs in liaison with the Head of Base
- Participation in the overall mission and program strategy, narrative and financial project proposals and reporting, in collaboration with Log/Admin/CD and other program coordinators as necessary.
Objective 6 - To ensure proper reporting of the programmes:
Internal & External Relationship
- Reporting on attended meetings or training to share with program managers, coordination team as necessary
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators
- Monthly ACF WASH report to be sent to Multisector project manager (line manager) -which includes an overview of the WASH situation, external coordination update, achievements for the past month and objectives for the following month
- Preparing inputs for the mission weekly and monthly sitrep
- Writing of contractual donor reports
- Prepare handover report as necessary to replacement
- Multisector project manager, Yobe: Direct manager, hierarchical relationship
- WASH regional Coordinator: technical support - exchange of information
- Administrative Coordinator: exchange of information and collaboration on financial and planning matters
- HR Coordinator: exchange of information and collaboration on recruitment, training and, if need be, on team management problems
- Other Programme Managers: Nut/FSL: exchange of information and coordination (integrated approach)
- State government, Local overnmental and non-governmental partners exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on choice of technical options
- Local medical authorities: exchange of information, coordination, influence on choice of technical options
- Local representatives of international aid or anisations : exchange of information aoe presentatives of international aid organisations: exchange of information.
- Engineering, Technology or Public Health Degree (Bachelor level or equivalent/higher) in a field related to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (Civil/ Building/Geology/Public health)
- Additional training courses specific to WASH in development contexts (such as Bioforce Institute graduates), and/or Program Management professional certifications, strongly preferred.
Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 3 years relevant working experience, in a WaSH management/supervisory Capacity.
- Strong computer literacy, organizational and planning skills, report writing, budget oversight
- Commitment to upholding ACF’s values, excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Application Closing Date
- Experience in the INGO/NGO and humanitarian context
- Experience managing a team of staff
25th April, 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.