African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Asia External Representation Office (SNAR)
Position N°: 50092381
The Hiring Department
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP provides effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP leads senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.
- The Asia External Representation Office, based in Tokyo, Japan enables the Bank to engage more actively with key stakeholders in its Asian member countries (China, Japan, South Korea & India) and other countries in Asia with a view to enhancing dialogue and promoting innovative approaches to mobilize necessary resources to support the implementation of the Bank’s Strategy and Africa’s development agenda.
- The principal objectives of the Asia External Representation Office lies within three generic areas, namely: (i) External Partnership and Dialogue, (ii) Knowledge dissemination and Exchange, and (iii) Business and Investment Promotion
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the general guidance of the President and the direct supervision of the Senior Vice President (SVP), the Director of the Asia External Representation Office (SNAR) oversees and manages the delivery of the work programme and activities of the Asia External Representation Office.
- As part of his/her functions, the Director is charged with the responsibility to ensure that the Office can: (i) foster dialogue and promote partnerships on aid, trade and investment with major constituencies; (ii) increase awareness of the Bank’s strategies, policies and activities; (iii) implement multi-constituency outreach programmes; and (iv) promote a better understanding of Africa’s development challenges and opportunities.
- Key target institutions and entities include national authorities, official development partners and assistance organizations, private sector and business community, business organizations, universities, research institutes, think tanks, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), civil society organizations (CSOs) and youth associations
External Partnership and Dialogue:
- Represent the Bank and lead regular dialogue and contacts and strengthen the Bank’s Brand with, amongst others, Government officials, aid agencies, development partners, diplomatic missions, and other key constituents among Member Countries in Asia – Japan, South Korea, China, and India, as well as other potential members countries within the region;
- Lead innovative and strategic partnerships arrangements, including trust funds, co-financing, technical cooperation and knowledge partnerships;
- Represent the Bank in aid coordination meetings with donors and development partners;
- Build and maintain a network of high-level contacts with key constituencies (congressional/parliamentary representatives, academics, business communities, local and international media, etc.);
- Promote the African perspective in Asia and also business and investment from Asia to Africa;
- Ensure regular and social media coverage, e.g. TV, newspapers, journals, Facebook, twitter, etc. to raise awareness about the Bank’s work and Africa’s development.
Knowledge Dissemination and Exchange:
- Oversee the organization of seminars, conferences and workshops on African development issues, business and investment opportunities in African countries and partnerships with the Bank to increase awareness and deep understanding about them;
- Support the identification of opportunities for leveraging Asian skills and transfer of knowledge;
- Oversee the organization of targeted information sessions with the general public (i.e. local and international media, civil society and NGOs, youth Groups, academics and universities, and the private sector, etc.);
- Maintain a fully operational virtual information resources as SNAR’s web site to encourage a better and clearer public understanding of Bank’s activities and policies and African development issues; and
- Maintain an operational platform, with video-conferencing and communication facilities, for information sharing and exchange as well as for increasing awareness and deep understanding about African development challenges and opportunities within the Asian region.
Business development and Investment Promotion:
- Oversee the organization of Business Opportunities Seminars and disseminate information on Bank’s projects, policies and processes, with emphasis on the High 5’s including procurement and bid tendering information, for general public disclosure through the website and other vehicles;
- Maintain a business center offering free consultation and advice about business, investment and co-financing opportunities with the Bank; procurement guidelines; consultant employment guidelines; standard tender document specifications; operations processes and technical cooperation programs;
- Provide access to information on the Bank’s project cycle to facilitate better understanding of how the Bank’s operations in RMCs lead to business opportunities for general suppliers of goods, services and know-how; and
- Organize; coordinate and participate in targeted trade promotion, business and investment opportunity seminars, workshops and road shows, including Treasury bonds issuance and investment activities and providing potential investors with relevant information on business and investment opportunities.
Leadership and Management:
- Manage the staff and activities of the Asia External Representation Office;
- Coordinate the preparation, submission and delivery of the office’s work programme and budget;
- Ensure sound human resource management in the Office, including timely planning, recruitment, performance appraisal and staff development; and directly supervise the staff of the Office; and
- Ensure sound financial management in the Office, including systematic budget preparation, execution and reporting;Contributing to corporate strategic goals and communicates Bank vision and ensures that Office staff work in alignment with Bank’s values and to strengthen Bank’s brand;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- Minimum Master's Degree or its university equivalent in a relevant Development field;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of extensive and progressive experience in the relevant areas of responsibilities, five (5) years of which must be at a managerial level. A solid knowledge and experience in the Bank’s business is required;
- A solid knowledge and good grasp of the political economy as well as the socio-economic and development issues in Africa. Demonstrated motivation and commitment to the Development of the African continent;
- A strategic mindset and the capacity to steer the Bank’s agenda while empowering staff during a phase of institutional transition towards greater country focus of the Bank’s activities;
- Possess the necessary team skills required to lead complex programs; strong capacity to analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into a compelling plan of action;
- Demonstrated ability to take prudent business risks and make effective, timely and well-determined decisions;
- Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; with cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations or change;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to develop partnerships with a broad range of clients, as well as to deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interests of clients within and outside the Institution. Preference will be given to candidates demonstrating very strong outreach skills and experience in Asian member countries;
- Ability to operate effectively in a matrix management environment, both as team leader and team member;
- Ability to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues;
- Excellent written and verbal communications in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language;
- In-depth knowledge of the African continent and its development issues, challenges and opportunities;
- In depth knowledge of development experiences and technologies/innovations in the Asian member countries, which can be utilized for sustainable and inclusive growth of Africa;
- Extensive working experiences and human network with key stakeholders in the Asian member countries including congressional/parliamentary representatives, national authorities, official development partners and assistance organizations, capital markets, private sector and business community, business organizations, universities, research institutes, think tanks, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), civil society organizations (CSOs) and youth associations;
- Excellent communication capacity of the Asian languages of member countries as well as a deep knowledge and understanding of their markets. In particular, strong communication skills in Japanese would be a plus. A good understanding of social/cultural environments in the Asian member countries would be a strong asset;
- Demonstrates integrity, sound judgment, and highest ethical standards;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint). Ability to provide strategic advice to the Bank on emerging financial and development issues, as well as corporate issues.
18th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).