African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Banks development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Solutions Development Engineer
Position N°: 50000545
The Hiring Department
- The Vice-Presidency, Human Resources and Corporate Services (CHVP) Complex ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services
- The Complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurements, language services, business continuity, and health and safety strategies.
- The Corporate Information Technology Services Department’s (CHIS) mission at the Bank is to align the IT delivery strategy along with the Bank’s business strategy to increase the organizational effectiveness through efficient use of the Information Systems (IS)
- Under the leadership of the African Development Bank’s (AfDB) Information Systems Director, the Information Technology Systems Department is mandated by the Bank to deliver best possible IT services for Bank Staff, and help achieve the results that gets the Bank closer to accomplishing its poverty reduction goals in Africa.
- The Business Solutions Development & Maintenance Division is one of the Divisions of the Corporate IT Services department
- It is in charge of the design, development, and maintenance of IT solutions/systems to support the Bank business needs
- It is also responsible for managing overall IT day-to-day operations relating to enterprise applications, improving performance and end-user satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The position of Solutions Development Engineer develop software codes, systems and automation to resolve a business related issue
- He/she provides direction for technical and business resources. The position also defines and develops project management infrastructure, manages a development methodology, a driven quality plan, monitors and controls the quality of the deliverables, as well as manages the project completion process through customer acceptance
- Works through Program / Project managers with business unit managers to form alliances on projects.
- The main objective of the assignment is to work within the IT department to analyze users requirements and build IT solutions related to the Bank’s business activities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Division Manager, CHIS.1, the key duties and responsibilities of Solutions Development Engineer are:
- Be involved in the full systems development life cycle and responsible for designing, coding, testing, implementing, maintaining and supporting application software that is delivered on time and within budget
- Make recommendations towards the development of new code or reuse of existing code to faster deliver software products
- Participate in feasibilities studies of new and innovative solutions
- Use prototyping to do a proven test that indeed, the IT solutions works and integrate applications
- Participate in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations
- Participate reviews of supplied specifications, with others as appropriate
- Document all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate.
- Write well-designed, efficient code and follow industry standards and best practices. In addition, modify application from supplied specifications using agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
- Participate in producing requirement / system specifications and all the required documentations
- Provide peer-to-peer review of Quality Assurance of code that follow development standards and meet requirements specifications
- Provide guidance and assistance to colleagues in any aspect of program design, creation, testing and documentation.
- Ensure that source codes are appropriately disposed into the Bank’s Code Repository
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master's/Engineering Degree in Computer Science, Software Development or related business fields
- Minimum of 4 years of proven experience as a Software Developer within an IT organization
- Experience in application development / Agile methodology programming experience
- Has experience in systems design and analysis, a solid understanding of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC), quality assurance and integration methodologies
- The ability to adapt to the requirements of the customer, the needs of the sponsors, a fit for purpose, in its environment and people working on it to ensure a successful outcome.
- Has proven experience in modern programming languages such as Java J2E, Grails, PhP, C-Sharp.
- As the department is embracing “Cloud Preference” and “Mobile First”. The individual should have experience in developing Mobile Applications for native and cross-platform, at the minimum for IOS, Android and Windows
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to go to the extra mile.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to coach and mentor Junior developers
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other.
- Knowledge of the Bank’s standard software: Excel, Word, Power Point, MS Project, Access, etc.
18th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online