Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) is the world’s leading international development organization whose vision is “A World without poverty”. Our approach to fighting poverty is through the lasting power of volunteering. VSO currently works in 24 countries across Africa, Asia and The Pacific.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Professional Volunteer - Sign Language Professional
Kano and Enugu, Nigeria
Duration: 14 Days
Start Date: 26th April, 2019.
- Support education programs of pupils living with disabilities (LWD)in Schools identified by VSO Nigeria with primary focus on children with auditory learning disorder ( ALD) and language processing disorder (LPD)
- Provide teaching to children, teachers and relevant stakeholders on the use of sign language
- Provide support on improving quality of learning for children with learning disabilities ( ALD & LPD) on numeracy and literacy
- Provide professional skills for interpreting and teaching sign language to non-sign language users
- Work with other VSO teams in creating awareness at community and state level on improving access to quality education to marginalised children with focus on children LWD ( ALD +LPD)
- Support and work closely with teachers, community volunteers, school parents and guardians to improve learning outcomeof Children LWD( ALD& LPD)that are out of schools, school dropout and in schools.
- Provide support and mentorshipto teachersin the use of teachers’tool kits for early learners living with ALD & LPDfrom Primary 1-to 3.
- Coordinate participation of parents/guardians and community stakeholders toidentify and support activities that contribute to quality inclusive education of children with auditory learning disorder ( ALD) and language processing disorder (LPD)
- Support sensitisation and awareness creation in communities and schools for increased accessforChildren with Learning Disabilities to quality inclusive education.
- Collaborate with head teachers and education administrators to provide conducive and safe learning environment for children with learning disabilities ( ALD & LPD)
- Support the collection and use of data as baseline for generating reports on program progress and learning.
- Collate and provide monthly, quarterly and annual report of field activities to program lead.
- Report to both the VSO Education Program manager and relevant state stakeholders on implementation of activities
Key Performance Indicators:
- Improved identification and assessment of children that are marginalized and livingwith audio learning disabilities and language processing disabilities.
- Improved teaching and learning of children with ALD and LPD in Primary 1-3
- Improved leadership at school and local community level to support of the learning of children that are identified as marginalized, out-of-school or school drop outs.
- Improved parental and community engagement in the education of children with auditory and language processing disabilities.
- Documented learning for the scale-up of the impact made.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
Skills and Knowledge
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Successful candidates are likely to have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Must have a demonstrated skills to interpret and communicate using sign language.
- Nigerian with at least a National Certificate in Education (NCE) or qualification related to education.
- Practical experience working with children, preferably of children in early primary school stage (Primary 1-3) is of great advantage.
- A good level of written English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and able to work with a range of people in different roles and with different backgrounds and levels of knowledge and experience.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, taking initiative and taking responsibility for results.
- A commitment to supporting educational improvement of children leaving with disabilities.
- A commitment to work on the programme for 1 year to maximize their learning about effective programme delivery and change-management
The following skills, knowledge and experience would be useful but not essential:
- Training and/or mentoring experience preferably in education.
- Data collection and project monitoring experience.
- Good working ICT skillsin particular good knowledge of using tablets, smartphones and computers for data collection.
- Experience of training, supporting and mentoring others.
Application Closing Date
- Building and Sustaining working relationships
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
- Open Minded and Respectful
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
- Seeking and Sharing Knowledge
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
- Facilitating Positive Change
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
15th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (MS Word)