African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Protocol Assistant (RDGS)
Position N°: 50071954
The Hiring Department/Division
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions including Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Department; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Function Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat.
- The role of the Bank's Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat (PSEG) is to facilitate the achievement of the objectives set out in the Bank's Ten-Year Strategy, the High 5s and the Development and Business Delivery Model, by streamlining the decision-making process of governance bodies and forging better working relationships with shareholders and host countries of the Bank. Office of the Secretary General and the General Secretariat: (i) the Office of the Secretary General, which is also responsible for managing the Records Management and Archives Section, the Corporate Governance Policy and Shareholder Relations Section and the Conferences and Meetings Section; (ii) Board Affairs and Proceedings Division; and (iii) the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division.
- The main functions of the Protocol, Privileges and Immunities Division (PSEG.2) are to provide protocol services and manage relations with the Bank Group Headquarters or host Country Offices of the Bank Group and diplomatic missions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the Senior Protocol Assistant is to assist the Principal Protocol and Events Management Officer in providing protocol assistance for the President of the Bank, Elected Officers, Senior Management and Special Guests when visiting countries covered by the regional hub and monitor the implementation of the Agreements establishing the regional hub as well as the immunities, privileges and exemptions extended to the Country Offices in the region and staff;
- The job holder will assist in the monitoring of relations with the host country and the management of the relations with diplomatic missions in the host country as well as the management of the Bank’s ceremonies and events in the host country and high-level visits to the Country Offices in the region.
Under the supervision and direction of the Principal Protocol Officer, the Senior Protocol Assistant main tasks are to:
- Prepare, transmit and follow up the processing of requests for tax exemptions, visas, diplomatic and international organization cards and registration of the Bank’s vehicles and staff members;
- Organise efficient classification of visas files;
- Produce monthly reporting on visas requests statistics;
- Transmit and follow up the processing of diplomatic missions and consulates accredited to South Africa of applications for visas and all other Bank official documents;
- Conduct airport arrival and departure formalities for Governors, the President, Executive Directors , Members of Senior Management as per the Protocol Guide as well as official delegations invited by the Bank;
- Contribute to the preparation of events and ceremonies organised or co-organised by the Bank;
- Provide protocol services to RDGS,at the Bank Group Annual Meetings and other statutory meetings;
- Draft memoranda, reports and all other documents as required;
- Carry out any other duties reasonably requested by the Director General or the Country Manager
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Application Closing Date
- Hold at least a higher education (Bachelor’s degree) diploma in Diplomacy, Law, Social Sciences, Public or International Relations and other related fields.
- Possess at least six (6) years of professional experience in the area of Protocol, Public Relations or Public Administration.
- Experience in public administration and law, planning and organization of high-level meetings and events management.
- The incumbent should also have work experience in a multicultural environment.
- General knowledge of Protocol and similar experience in an intergovernmental organization
- Private-sector experience would be an added advantage.
- A good knowledge of diplomatic norms and Practices. Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Possess sound knowledge of diplomatic norms and practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP (or another integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools) would be an added advantage.
24th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candiates should:
Click here to apply online
- This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as local staff and will not have international terms and conditions of employment).
- Only applicants who are nationals of south africa or are nationals of member countries of the bank who already have a pre-existing legal right to live and work in south africa will be considered for this position. The bank does not sponsor or support applications for work permits and relocation in relation to this post
- Applicants who fully meet the Bank's requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level.
- The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.