Federal Ministry of Environment - The Federal Project Management Unit of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant Natural Resources Expert Advisor to the National Project Coordinator - Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP)
- We are in need of an Individual Consultant as a Natural Resources Expert Advisor to the National Project Coordinator of Federal Project Management Unit of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP)
As part of Governments commitment to transformation of the Nigerian socioeconomy landscape, the Federal Government has applied and received a credit from the International Development Association (IDA) towards the cost of a multi-sector Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) to mitigate the vulnerability to erosion and support the people as they relate to their environment
NEWMAP includes a dedicated component aimed at assisting the country to address the broader climate change agenda. The Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) is an 8-year multi-sectoral and multi-scale program that on the one hand targets seven southeastern states with acute gully erosion (Abia, Anambra, Cross River, Ebonyi, Edo, Enugu and Imo States), while laying the foundation for scaling out to south west and the northern parts of Nigeria.
The project is involving many Federal and State Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs), Local Governments, communities and civil Societies. The various MDAs include those responsible for Planning, economy, finance, works, agriculture, water resources, forests, transport, power, emergency response as well as those focused on climate and hydrological information or watershed/basin regulation. Effective implementation will, therefore, require inter-ministerial and inter-state coordination, collaboration and information sharing.
The Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project (NEWMAP) became effective on September 16, 2013. The World Bank agreed to finance the Project with a credit of $500 million. This credit was approved, in addition to, fully blended grants of $3.96 million from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and $4.63 million from the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF) by the World Bank Board on May8, 2012.
The central aim of the project is to reduce vulnerability to soil erosion in targeted sub-watersheds. The project is mainly State-led interventions to prevent and reverse land degradation, focusing on major gully erosion sites that threaten infrastructure, livelihoods, and environmental assets.
The Federal Project Management Unit (FPMU) of the Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project intends to apply a portion of the credit for eligible payments for the Consulting Services.
Objectives of Consultant’s Assignment
- The main objectives of this assignment is to engage a highly experienced Consultant on Natural Resources Management to assist the National Project Coordinator (NPC), NEWMAP to ensure sensitivity to Natural Resources and the environment in all the planning and implementation of NEWMAP activities.
- The aim is to provide expertise and showcase good practices experiences in key areas, provide quality enhancement and implementation support throughout the project processing cycle and play a mentoring role to the entire technical personnel in NEWMAR.
- The Advisor must have at least a Master's Degree in the field of Natural Resources Management, Agricultural Science, Soil and Water Resources Management or other related fields or equivalent
- At least 7 years of experience in participatory Natural Resources Management including experience in biodiversity conservation and/or environmental governance
- Experience in developing countries is an added advantage
- Areas of experience should include but not limited to:
- Extensive knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of conservation, management, protection, and sustainable utilization of natural resource such as water and land, agriculture, and forestry.
- Strong background and knowledge in natural resources issues and their inherently complex and dynamic environmental, hydrological, and agro-forestry systems as well as climate change and its implications on these systems
- Experience in dealing with national governments, regional bodies and international organizations on natural resources, and agroenvironmental issues
- Experience and skills necessary for facilitating collaborative approaches to management of shared rjaturaLrespces such as trans-boundary watercourses and bodies
- Proven writing and analytical skills; ability to initiate innovative approaches and originality at work
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office application.
- Ability to communicate and write effectively in English, with a working knowledge of the other language.
Application Closing Date
- The Consultancy shall be on time base contracts for the initial period of one year subject to renewal based on performance of the consultant.
14th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates (Consultants) should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services. The shortlisting criteria are:
- Evidence showing the academic background of the Consultant (profile/CV)
- Evidence of certification with relevant authorities and professional bodies
- Description of relevant specific experience
- Evidence showing the knowledge and administrative capabilities of the Consultant in the field of the assignment in Nigeria
- Availability of appropriate skills, and use of essential technology etc.
The attention of interested Consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank's Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers [July 2014] (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
Expressions of interest must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by mail i.e. by courier):
Federal Project Management Unit,
Nigeria Erosion and Watershed Management Project,
Attn: National Project Coordinator (NEWMAP),
Federal Ministry of Environment,
No. 56, Mamman Nasir Street, Asokoro
TeI: 08098570625; 08036477409; 08066029902
E-mail: [email protected]
- A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method (IC) set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
- Further information can be obtained at the address above during office hours [10.00am to 16.00pm].