African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Security Assistant
Position N°: 50000425
The Hiring Department
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the ADB and the ADF.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG)
- The African Development Bank’s Security Unit (PSEC) is a robust security function reporting to the President of the Bank. Deep global analytical capabilities combined with Africa wide security processes are in place in order to provide the full spectrum of security services to the Bank.
- Security Unit detects, deters and reacts to a broad range of risks spanning the security spectrum; physical; political, information and reputational risks around the globe are monitored closely to address the changing security dynamic. Our security requirements include risk analysis, training, coordination with outside actors and implementation of security programs at the strategic, operational and tactical levels.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The Security Agent assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for AfDB in the Bank’s Head Quarter host country or in the region of assignment.
- The SSA will fully support the PSEC Management in the execution of their security responsibilities at the assigned duty station and this includes acting in support of the collection, collation, analysis and dissemination of Security Threat Information relevant to AfDB PSEC with a primary focus on Armed Conflict, Terrorism, Civil Unrest, Crime and Hazards.
Under the supervision and guidance of the Head Of Security Unit, the Security Assistant will:
Information collation and analysis:
- Collate and prepare annual data to contribute to Country and Area Security Risk Assessments
- Prepare security data for the purposes of incident and operational mapping
- Assist in the production of analytic assessments by providing input based on knowledge of the host country
- Assists in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country/Region;
- Ensure all mandatory reports and documents are updated in a timely manner
- Ensure that access to the Bank’s facilities are made through the appropriate entrance through the supervision of agents and guards;
- Ensure that exit from the Bank’s facilities are through the appropriate exits through the supervision of agents and guards;
- Ensure that the Emergency Key and its Log Sheet are updated in a timely manner;
- Control, organize and supervise access to facilities in collaboration with Bank staff other related third parties.
- Approve visitor access requests
- Contribute to Access Control Policies and Standards
- Recommend initiatives/solutions to improve access control to the Bank’s premises
Facilities Monitoring and Control:
- Coordinate building security checks to ensure that they are carried out as frequently as is required.
- Liaise with the security guard company to ensure that services provided meet the Bank’s standards
- Organize and control security for special events organized by the Bank;
- Review periodic analysis based on information collected from access control equipment and make recommendations to improve the overall security posture of the Bank’s premises;
- Contribute to the development of procedures and policies associated with security such as emergency procedures, Fire safety etc.
- Observe areas immediately surrounding the Bank’s premises to identify threats. Recommend risk mitigation or prevention strategies for identified threats.
- Implement measures prescribed to deter and detect fraudulent activities from inside or outside the Bank.
- Report any security issues to PSEC Leadership for resolution.
- Implement protective and preventive security measures against terrorist attacks as directed.
- Collect information from victim(s) and provide immediate assistance as required
- Review incident reports periodically to ensure that a high quality of records is maintained
- Collaborate with external parties and partners in the management of incidents
- Request the update of residential information on security databases as and when necessary
- Conduct residential assessments and provide recommendations for improvement to staff member;
- Lead the liaison with staff to ensure the implementation of Security improvements
- Contribute to the development of methodologies for residential assessments
Including Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Security or any other related subject
- A minimum of Five (5) years of experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work
- Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO or International Organization is desirable and is considered as a positive factor.
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered as an asset
- Completion of Guard Training and First Aid Training Courses.
- Knowledge of host country safety codes
- Knowledge of Security Threat Information processes
- Communication - Provides clear and concise oral and written communication; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style and adapts language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving: Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation: Ensures that the Bank’s staff is considered to be of primary importance in all interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate staff needs, and ensures that staff receive the best possible service from the Unit.
- Team Working and Relationships: Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment
- Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations
- Knowledge in the field of security risk management.
- Ability to apply AfDB PSEC rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations.
- Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Ability to conduct risk assessments and write a comprehensive report
- Ability to maintain continuity of security information analysis efforts
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Ability to travel
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
29th May, 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position does not attract international terms and conditions (The post holder will be considered as a local staff and will not have international term and conditions of employment).