African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Principal Water Supply and Sanitation Engineer, AHWS.2/RDNG
Position N°: 50070804
The Hiring Department/Division
- The Vice Presidency for Agriculture, Human and Social Development is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank TYS High 5s priority of “Feed Africa” and “Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa”. The complex objectives are mainly: (i) to develop related policies and strategies; (ii) provide deep Sector expertise on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; and (iv) represent the Bank with external stakeholders on the aspects of “ Feed Africa and to Improve Quality of Life for the People of Africa. The Complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
- The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities.
- The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its Regional Members Countries and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
- The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is part of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Department Complex (AHVP).
- The Department is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s (Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, water-related Power and Light Africa, Integrate Africa, and Improve the Quality of Life).
- The Department also supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
- The AHWS.2 works in tandem with AHWS.1 and the AWF to provide the Bank thought leadership for water development and sanitation in Africa.
- The Department and AHWS.2 play a lead role in supporting Africa to attain water security through the provision of technical expertise, generation and dissemination of pertinent sector knowledge and fostering strategic partnerships.
- Specifically, in line with the mandate of the Department, AHWS.2 provides guidance in the following thematic areas, among others: (i) Integrated & Transboundary Water Resources Development and Management for Water Security; (ii) Water Supply for All; (iii) Sanitation for All; and, (iv) Water Sector Governance; as well as the cross-cutting areas including gender, climate change, private sector engagement and fragility.
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) Complex, the Nigeria Country Department works with relevant Departments of the Bank in business development, project implementation of the Bank's High 5s, namely: "Light up and Power Africa," "Feed Africa," "Industrialize Africa," "Integrate Africa" and "Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa."
Duties and Responsibilities
- The position of the Water Supply and Sanitation Engineer, reporting to the Country Operations Manager RDNG and for sector support to the Division Manager AHWS.2, has the following work objectives:
- Liaising with other experts in the Nigeria stakeholders, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs and other water-related complexes in the Bank, the purpose of this job is to contribute to the development of pertinent knowledge and provide technical inputs and strategic direction on sustainable and affordable water supply and sanitation technologies and approaches in both rural and urban areas, with a special focus on urban areas.
- Contribute to the development of plans for the Nigeria’s water security agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water and sanitation for all and ensuring water quality standards towards improved quality of life for the people of Nigeria.
Under the overall supervision of the Director AHWS in collaboration with the Senior Director of RDNG, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Policies and Strategies, and Processing:
- Monitor the implementation of the Bank’s water policy and provide technical inputs to the review, preparation and updating of the Bank’s strategies, business plans and guidelines related to water supply and sanitation;
- Provide technical inputs to the country office’s contribution to the development and review of strategies, business plans and guidelines prepared by other departments from the water resource management, water supply and sanitation perspective;
- Provide expertise to the Nigeria Water and sanitation sector for the preparation of national water and sanitation strategies, and investment plans towards the achievement of national goals and the SDGs;
- Undertake preparation of project proposals and processing of lending to the sector to approval.
- Support the dialogue and design of integrated water resources and development programs that incorporate best practice and leverage the comparative advantage of the Bank
Processing of Lending Program and Project Implementation:
- Undertake project identification for a robust pipeline, preparation, appraisal of water and sanitation projects/programs and secure co-financing;
- Ensure loan processing, and efficient project/programme implementation;
- Participate in joint water donor working groups with other multilateral and bilateral institutions (such as World Bank, UNESCO, UNICEF and regional institutions - AU, EAC, etc.) and other national agencies for a robust lending program and implementation of the Bank’s operations in Nigeria.
Water and Sanitation Knowledge Management:
- Undertake analytical work to generate and disseminate knowledge products on water and sanitation, and water resources management to inform the pipeline of projects, with particular focus on: (i) green and affordable technologies; (ii) water and sanitation value chain and private sector engagement; (iii) integrated water management and use; (iv) life cycle water costs; (v) sustainable service delivery; (vi) emerging water resources challenges including those attributed to climate change and urbanization among others;
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping support in the preparation of country and/or sector studies to promote inclusive, sustainable and affordable water and sanitation services at country level;
- Contribute technical inputs to the community of practice on water supply and sanitation to facilitate knowledge exchange within the Bank and to harmonize service standards across the regional hubs.
Coordination and Collaboration with Other Development Partners:
- Support the preparation of annual work plan and budget of the country water and sanitation activities related to water and sanitation;
- Undertake coordination of water and sanitation activities with other task managers in the region for sharing of knowledge and experiences;
- Foster and contribute to the coordination and collaboration with other development partners and non-government institutions to advance the water and sanitation agenda in Nigeria.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
Application Closing Date
- At least a Master's degree or its equivalent in Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitary Engineering, or related discipline.
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional working experience, and desirably in a reputable development institution.
- A very good understanding of water supply, sanitation and water resources management issues, challenges and opportunities in Africa;
- Recognized ability to identify and articulate technological issues and to provide sound advice;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prepare schedules to address issues and communicate them effectively orally and in written briefs);
- Capacity to prepare, analyze, review and disseminate knowledge products with easy uptake and that add value to the sector;
- Capacity to initiate, manage and disseminate innovations;
- Challenges the status quo; Initiates and implements creative performance improvements, and sustains forward momentum
- Frequently communicates a clear, compelling vision and strategy; communicates with clarity and persuasively to get things done; keeps colleagues regularly informed about relevant topics and updates.
- Analyzes complex situations or problems; makes decisions and acts quickly and decisively without turning to others for direction; applies knowledge of past situations/trends as appropriate; generates and tests multiple hypotheses or explanations for a given situation.
- Anticipates and identifies client needs and business trends and proactively consults with them to deliver integrated, customized solutions;
- Collaborates with colleagues to drive goal achievement; and uses a network across functions to deliver results; self-assured in the presence of senior people.
- Takes initiative to improve policies, strategies, practices and products to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; Delivers quality initiatives in order to enhance team's performance.
- Communicate and write effectively in English, and preferably with a working knowledge of French;
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably SAP.
7th June, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.