Solidarités International (SI) is a French humanitarian organisation operating for over 35 years who is committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter. SI has started activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August 2016 in the fields of Wash and is now intervening in 4 areas of the state for Wash and Shelter activities.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Officer
Beginning of contract: ASAP
Contract duration: 3 months (with possibility of extension)
Probation period: 1 months
Salary and conditions: In accordance with SI’s Terms of Employment; for national staff in Nigeria
- Under the supervision of the WatSan Team Leader and in functional link with the Shelter advisor Assistant, the shelter Officer will lead and supervise shelter work projects, respecting deadlines and technical requirements.
Set-up and operational monitoring:
- Under the supervision of the WatSan Team Leader, take part in logistical and administrative organization and the planning and preparation of job sites
- Ensure the construction and/or the maintenance of construction work using Solidarités International tools (in particular):
- Take part in the identification of sites where work is to be carried out
- Recruit and train the workforce (carpenters, mason, …) and daily workers
- Control the quality/quantity of the materials arriving in the construction site
- Be in charge of given the materials to the IDPs
- Allocate the on-site workforce according to instructions given by the team leader or Shelter advisor assistant
- Carry out work according to technical guidelines and estimates and follow the recommendation of the Shelter Coordinator or Shelter advisor assistant.
- Controls the quality of the implementation
- Respect deadlines established with his/her supervisor or project manager
- Supervise operational teams, contractors and communities, and ensure the best use of available resources
- Organize, plan and supervise community participation
- Anticipate any problems associated with the management of his/her activity and propose solutions to avoid them
- Manage the supply of worksite materials by collaborating with the logistics department
- Report to the project manager and/or program manager assistant on the state of decentralized stock (‘field’ stock) on his/her sites.
- Take part to the evaluation of the technical competence of contractors
- Respect Solidarités administrative procedures before, during and after each work project
- Establish safety and security measures for each activity and ensure that these rules are respected by the workforce under his/ her supervision and by the population
- Fill and send daily report to the WatSan Team leader ,
- Fill and send concrete test report, and quality check report
- Fill and send monitoring report
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her team leader and/or project manager
- Take part in the drafting of project progress reports under the supervision of his/her team leader
- Take part in seminars and workshops related to the carrying-out of activities and to project objectives
- Report to his supervisor regarding the development of activities and specific tasks that he/she has been assigned, any problems encountered and the quality of relations with the beneficiaries
- Report back all information or problems linked to his/her activity, Solidarités programs or safety issues
- Listen to the local population and authorities in order to identify any needs, complaints, or major events which could affect the activities of Solidarités
- Analyse the humanitarian situation by taking into account protection issues/Do No Harm to the population
- Collaborate with local authorities and administration
- Take part in restitution meetings and clusters on request
- Professional experience: 1 Year of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- Languages: English, (Hausa, Kanuri a plus)
- Personal qualities: reliable, honest, very good organization, resistance to stress, good interpersonal skills (communication) and team player.
Technical competences :
Application Closing Date
- Training: B.Eng./HND in Civil Engineering, B.Sc. in Building Technology or Architecture.
- Project related skills: good knowledge of the project cycle, project implementation, project follow-up.
- Computer skills: good knowledge in CAD software (Auto CAD, Archi CAD, etc.), good knowledge in Excel, Power point and Word application
5pm; 23rd May 2019
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- When the above link opens, select "Shelter Officer Monguno", fill the form and attach your CV.
- The CV attached must be named with your name and surname.
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.